Katsafado's first ever 10g SW tank(nano)

goobe

haha yeah ive been following your tank for a while. i can tell by looking at it thats its well established. Ive been to the Big als there, personally i think that the guys working there dont know what they are talking about , since they said i needed a MH light for frogspawn. but again retail trying to upsale.
i didnt know they buy back corals though that maybe something i do in the future.
im excited to see what you do end up upgrading too. i upgraded my tank to a 36 gal bow front. i love my tank. but i kinda wish i bought a rimmless cube instead (like nikes)
with the upgrade on the tank are you going to upgrade lights aswell maybe to T5HOs or MHs?

katsafados

Meowzer - hopefully it isnt! I have a bunch of macro algae growing in the tank and apparently thats what they feed off of so it should be okay.
Goobe - Some of the staff know what they are tlaking about, while others havent got a clue! I will be forsure upgrading the lighting if I get a bigger tank. With better lights ill look into getting the stony hard corals. I wanted to look into LED lights, I wonder how much par they put out.

anjiro

Hey Kat, I havent been on these forums for a while but the last time I was, this was what I was working on, but money got tight and I've never actually finished the set up. LED's are pretty cheap to DIY. The par they produce is similar to metal halide. I'm gonna PM you a link to the big forum. The thread has been split twice, I've read the whole thing. It's quite a read about 130 pages. From what I remember Soundwave's LED's were so bright it bleached some of his corals. On another note, the set up has been running for over a year and he has had significant SPS growth.

nikesb

no. they wont be as strong as mh. if you want as strong as mh in leds, you're looking at about 400$+

nikesb

in a 20g, you would probably need at least 3 of the powerbrites to be able to keep zoas and lps successfully. sps wouldnt be able to thrive under powerbrites alone. after looking at big als site, theres no LED fixture there that can really be a good lighting system. your cheapest bet is to run two 80 degree par38s or three 60 degree par38s on a lighting track

katsafados

You speak in chineese haha, I hgave no idea what your talking about! I thought the 100$ LED'S were to good to be true

nikesb

look up par38 bulbs by evil66. you'll see what i'm talking about. the info is very limited on swf, because its such a closed community, but thats probably what you're looking for since you wouldnt have to build your own fixture

anjiro

The only problem I see with evil's lights is that over a 20 tall, to get the light penetration and par for sps, wouldnt you still need at least two maybe three, depending on how high you had to place them to get even light dispersion. The spot light effect is common in LEDs, if you want to showcase a coral then fine but even light dispersement? I do however like Evil's design and it is an easier way to put LEDs over a tank.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Katsafados
http:///forum/post/3292071
lolol... why whats wrong with the cheaper ones? Remember it has to go over a 10g first.. I dont want to burn the corals
There is a reason they are cheaper...LOL.....
you could always take 2 bulbs out at first.....ANYWAY, when you switch to a better light, you have to light acclimate the tank

meowzer

Originally Posted by Katsafados
http:///forum/post/3292076
how do you do that

well you cover the tank with screen or something to dull the light, and run them for short periods of time....then you begin increasing the light time, and removing some of your "shades" do this for like 2 weeks.....