Keep breaking out in a rash when I work in tank

alyssia

Does this happen to anyone else? When I just have my hands in the tank I am fine, but when I stick my arm in I break out in a rash up to my elbows (and yes, I realize I should be wearing gloves. I need to order some.) It looks like poison ivy.

alyssia

Here is my list:
2 O clowns
blackcap basslet
flame angel
yellow tang
zoas
bubble coral
monitpora cap
shrooms and ricordias
bta
frogspawn
hammer
brain
I think that's it

triga22

Hmm.. This happens to me when i touch dry salt.. I got some dry salt in my eye today ... Dont try it it hurts rlly bad

fedukeford

I also get rash on my arms whenever im working in the tank. It normally only lasts 3 days at the most though, i also have pretty bad allergies.

ginarox

welcome back alyssia..i dont break out in a rash, but i know that when i get my arm out of the water,,it itches like crazy, but after awhile it stops,,,have a great night...

chutneyjh

This was happeneing to me awhile back. It came on all of the sudden and then went away. I think I just had dry skin at the time and it was making my arm really itchy and it was burning.

alyssia

Originally Posted by Sharkboy13
maybe the corals stinging u

I'm not touching them though. Do I have to be?

alyssia

Originally Posted by fedukeford
I also get rash on my arms whenever im working in the tank. It normally only lasts 3 days at the most though, i also have pretty bad allergies.

Really? Mine itches like crazy and lasts for a week or so, sometimes longer.
Of course I'm an idiot for not getting some of those gloves yet.

hatessushi

I stick my arm in only to put the nori in. If I don't rinse my arm of afterwards then it itches. As long as I rinse then it doesn't. Sounds like the salt to me since it happens with my mix water also. sometime I have to get my arm in the garbage can to stick the pump back onto the side.

seannmelly

I know this a shot in the dark considering your hands are not affected. But maybe you are allergic to seafood?? I know after I have my arms in the tank, my arms itch. But that goes away once it dries. I don't know though, good luck!
Melly

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by alyssia
I'm not touching them though. Do I have to be?
well i have heard hammer corals have these long string stingers so if ur arm in near them maybe ur getting stung

yea my arms itch if i dont wash them once i take them out of the tank so when im done in the tank i go to the bathroom and rinse off my arm and then im fine. I think it is just the salt in the water that irratates your skin when the water dries.

alyssia

Originally Posted by seannmelly
I know this a shot in the dark considering your hands are not affected. But maybe you are allergic to seafood?? I know after I have my arms in the tank, my arms itch. But that goes away once it dries. I don't know though, good luck!
Melly

Nope, love seafood!