Keeping fish/corals in the plastic bag?

mario

I typically make my purchases from a store 10 minutes away from my house on weekends or afterwork so this is typically not a concern but there is a place close to work that I want to check out. They have a great website and good selection/prices.
If I make a purchase during my lunch hour can I keep a fish or coral in the usual plastic bag for 4/5 hours?
The fact that many people buy online make me believe that shouldn't be a problem but I don't know if specimens to be shipped are treated differently.

crox

IMO 4-5 hours should not be a problem but make sure they fill the bags with oxigen.

emmitt

Shouldnt be a problem if they put oxygen in it but try to make sure the temp stays stable. Dont leave it in the car or a 68 degree office for that long.
I'm in Ft. laud also, what are the 2 stores you're talking about?

mixtimp

I bought a couple of fish on my lunch break last week. I kept them in the bag for about 5 hours, just brought them into the office with me. They were perfectly fine, and love the tank.

mario

Originally Posted by emmitt
I'm in Ft. laud also, what are the 2 stores you're talking about?
I usually shop at Exotic Aquatic but work in Port Everglades and going to take a look at Dania Reef Life (I-95 and Griffin, near Outdoor World), are you familiar with this store? Check their site, good stuff

dogstar

I thought Pat was going to move the store to Copper City ???? Anyway, great Guy and great corals and LR but not impressed with his fish. Have not seen or talked to him in bout 4 months. I dont think he uses oxygen but still the bags should be fine as long as you keep the temp stable and keep in the dark would help. Tell them they will need to be baged that long and they may give you some tips.

emmitt

Very familiar with both. Reef life has some decent corals at GOOD prices but their tanks are a little nasty. They do get some nice zoos at low prices though.
I love exotic aquatic!! VERY, VERY nice corals and usually good fish and LR. They are a bit pricey though. They always have frozen cyclo though which isgreat. The people there are pretty cool also. I got both of these at exotics in the last 4 months