Kenia tree and Red Mushrooms

travis89

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
I have never heard or read of kenya tree corals or mushroom corals stinging anything. It could be that your mushroom is coming into contact with the kenya tree and just doesn't like it. Corals tend to retract when they contact other corals, even if no stinging is occuring.
I agree.

J

jupoc911

kenya trees are non aggressive but mushrooms can silently kill off surrounding corals by releasing toxins in the water. In fact I believe mushrooms are one of the most noxious corals out there.

crox

So it seems tha tthe 'shrooms and the bad guys here but this doesn't explain why the are getting whithe near the Kenia!!!

J

jupoc911

maybe the kenya tree is blocking light to the shrooms in those areas.

pclown

Originally Posted by Jupoc911
maybe the kenya tree is blocking light to the shrooms in those areas.
That is what I was thinking after seeing the picture

crox

I don't think the light is a factor here. The big mushroom in the back is completely in the shadow and is doing great!!

J

jupoc911

maybe that big mushroom is reacting differently or is used to being in the shade and the other one is used to being in the light.

mudplayerx

Originally Posted by Jupoc911
kenya trees are non aggressive but mushrooms can silently kill off surrounding corals by releasing toxins in the water. In fact I believe mushrooms are one of the most noxious corals out there.
Are you sure you aren't thinking about zooanthids? I've never heard of mushroom corals being poisonous or noxious.

jakebtc

The white is most likely just them shrinking up from touching the other coral and not really a problem. If you look at them at night you'll see just how much the color changes from them just shrinking up. Like mudplayerx stated earlier when non stinging corals touch other corals they usually retract and keep thier distance.

slappy

my tree never stung anything. although i would like to say they spread like a weed. wish i never got one.......
because now i have many