Koran angel fish

big-fish

i have a koran angel fish and it has some ick on it and it keeps going up to my little hermit crabs and it looks like he wants the crabs to pick the ick off of it,,,and i was wondring if i could get a cleaner shrimp and see if it would get the ick off of him/her,,,do you think that this would work,,,,and i would get a pretty big shrimp too so that is can protect its self,,,at my lfs they have some 5 inch shrimps for only 15$

nicetry

Biological cleaners like shrimp and gobies aren't really effective in controlling a parasitic outbreak. If the fish has ich, you'll need to treat it, and any other fish that have been exposed. Read the FAQ's in the Disease and Treatment Forum.

mmm33732

15 bucks for a cleaner is an awesome deal. i'd grab that up if i were you. my cleaners, esp once they got big, stopped cleaning and started waiting for the fish food to come. either way, they never did a very good job with ich. i had issued with ich for months. copper always seems to cure most of it, but then the fish would get it again later. once i started soaking the food in garlic, it all went away within a few weeks. for 3-6 bucks a bottle, try that route. it was the only one that truely worked for me. ich is usually stress caused. once its in a tank, it will always be unless you go fishless for like 2 months. the issue is controlling it though. if the fish aren't stressed, their natural immune system usually keep the ich away. garlic seems to help boost their immune system a little.

big-fish

i have had ick many times and my treatment is garlic,,,but i thought i heard that a cleaner shrimp helps get rid of ick

big-fish

Originally Posted by mmm33732
15 bucks for a cleaner is an awesome deal. i'd grab that up if i were you. my cleaners, esp once they got big, stopped cleaning and started waiting for the fish food to come. either way, they never did a very good job with ich. i had issued with ich for months. copper always seems to cure most of it, but then the fish would get it again later. once i started soaking the food in garlic, it all went away within a few weeks. for 3-6 bucks a bottle, try that route. it was the only one that truely worked for me. ich is usually stress caused. once its in a tank, it will always be unless you go fishless for like 2 months. the issue is controlling it though. if the fish aren't stressed, their natural immune system usually keep the ich away. garlic seems to help boost their immune system a little.
he had ick at the lfs,,that it why i bought him,,,

mmm33732

Originally Posted by BIG-FISH
he had ick at the lfs,,that it why i bought him,,,
why would you buy an unhealthy fish with a disease? its in a quarantine tank, right?

big-fish

well it has been goign down,,when i bought him,,he had about 5 peices on him,,now he only has 2,,,i am goign to get some garlic crap tomarrow

peckhead

bottled garlic will just add flavor and not do anything to boost the immune system. you need to get a clove of garlic to do anything other then add some flavor to the food...

nycbob

i had an ick outbreak once in my tank 3 months ago. got 4 skunks and ran uv, while feeding garlic during that 6 week period. its been 2 months since, and my 15 fish r all well and show no signs of ick. i dont know which one got rid of it. maybe its a combination of those 3 things. my salfin tang had it 1st, and spread it to every other fish. i was lucky i didnt lose any. but i did see the skunks cleaning my fish. i am 99% positive the icks r gone now. since then, i qt all my fish except corals.