Latest Reef Pics

oneflysi

ok well, i finished my canopy last night (well most of it). i'm still waiting for my set of MH's to come in from aquatic lighting to mount on the canopy door, and figure a way to mount my PC's...then i'll be done. so i shot some pics and figured i'd share since i haven't posted pics before. now be nice, all i have is LR and only corals that came attached to the LR i bought. once i get my halides i am going all out on some corals...and look for pics then :) also, i only have 35 lbs of fiji in my 55 right now. i took out 25 lbs to start my bowfront 29 gallon tank. my buddy is getting rid of his 125 reef and is giving me 55 lbs of his 6 yr old fiji!! anyways, here are some various pics: (be nice, the tank is only 3 months old and i have had some problems).
the tank has billions of copapods on the glass because i've had my fish in a hospital tank for about 30 days...so the pods turned my glass white. also, the glass on the outside has some water streaks...and too lazy to clean it last night.

here is a shot with the flash. i posted a while back about my background my friend made me. it is a sunset picture i took in st. thomas last year and he blew it up for me. pretty neat and even matches the paint on my wall.

here is a pic of my mushroom (came on LR) and my old blue damsel.

more on next post.....

oneflysi

shot of cinnamon clown and yellowtailed damsel...you can also see all the pods on the glass:

and can someone tell me what this is? it is another thing that came on my LR. some sort of coral? different type of duster? pretty cool and is growing quickly:

this is the kind of LR i get from my LFS:

here is a shot of my new canopy with the door open:

and here is a shot from the outside of my intake fan to cool the lights when i put them in:

another from the inside:

be sure to look for my new pics once i get my halides in and some more LR and corals :)
-One

kelly

You have aiptasia, a type of anenome, considered by most to be pests. They can quickly reach plague proportions, and will sting and burn other corals.

jacksonpt

Good looking pics. That think you are trying to find out what it is... I have one too. I was worried that it was aiptasia, but I've had it for a long time, and it's still the only one I have. It's only out at night, but I check out my tanks at least every other night.

oneflysi

well damn, a pest huh? and i have more than one, but that one is the biggest. you can see in that pic of it a couple of smaller ones in the top right hand corner. so should i let it go for a while, or try and get rid of them? i have no other corals in my tank at this time.
thanks for the compliments.....it is coming, slowly but surely :)
-One

taku

Holy crap mang! Can you send some pods this way? :D Looks great! I can't wait to see it with all the new lr also!
What halides at what kelvin did you end up ordering?

oneflysi

hey mar! yea, i'll send ya some pods...but you gotta send me something in return :) how 'bout some corals...yea, that sounds fair ;)
as for the halides. i ordered 2 12000K 175watt retrofit kits. they will go along with my 110watt PC already on the tank. whats that, about 8 watts per gallon? pretty good :) can't wait to get them corals!
-One

taku

SWEET! I'm glad you did NOT buy the 55K or 65K! Since I did.. I've been talking myself into just dropping some cash for the 10-12K's as well.

volitan

Hey Oneflysi, tank looks great! I love that sunset backdrop you put on. Get rid of the aiptasia, though. Do it now while theres not too many of them. I would recommend dropping in a butterfly to take them out since you don't have any corals yet. Maybe your LFS will buy it back from you after it does the job. You don't want him in there when you start adding corals! By the way, what LSF do you shop?

oneflysi

what type of butterfly? will he harm my other fish? i'm sure they would buy the fish back, cause i just took the blue damsel back and they gave me full price for it (i had it about 2 months, though it was only $3.50)
i usually get my LR from Uncle Bills Pet Store (pretty sure its just locally owned?). for some reason, they get some kick arse LR. i have also picked up quite a few peices that came outta of well established tanks. actually, come to think of it almost all my LR is from others tanks :)
will the butterfly DEFINETELY get rid of the anemone?
-One

bigeyedfish

very impressed with your canopy. do you have any plans handy? if so do you mind emailing them to me? jcarlton8@msn.com
thanks

volitan

Oneflysi, I'm not sure about exactly what kind of butterfly, but I know, which ever it is, they definitely eat aiptasia. The problem with them is they are not reef safe, because they also eat corals. Since you don't have any corals (besides the mushroom) and you can take him back later for a refund, I would say that the butterfly would probably be the best way to go. Maybe someone else on here can help us with the exact species that would be best for the job.
I've never heard of that lfs. Don't you live in OKC? I thought your old posts said that you did. Anyway, good luck, HTH.

wrassecal

Hey Volitan OneFlySi is our old Indiana fan/friend from NCAA thread...anyway OneFlySi, your canopy looks great..wanna build me one? and I think I'd try the peppermint shrimp on the aiptasia, you gotta keep your eye on that stuff for sure, make sure they are getting it. Like your background pic too that is a cool idea. Love it when people get actual pics on here!

oneflysi

thanks for the compliments/help guys! yea volitan, i'm the indiana boy. i'm from indianapolis. pretty sure that the pet store is local. (they have 3 here in indy), and they pretty much suck, but for some reason have excellent LR.
as for the canopy...well, i just took measurements, and went at it. i spent quite a bit on wood and supplies because i didn't have alot of things. everything i used for it i had to buy, but alot of people may already have stuff for them. besides wood (pine), i had to buy primer, paint, urethane, wood screws, wood glue, hinges, corner supports, paint brushes, etc, etc, etc. :) total for wood and all supplies was around $110. but i only spent about $40 on wood at home depot, and they even ripped the wood for me for free :) which saved me hella time. if you guys gimme a couple days i can get some better pics of the canopy and get some rough drawings for ya. let me know if that sounds good.
it actually looks alot better in person than in the pics, it looks like there are alot of imperfections in the pics, but you can't see any of that in person.
and it looks as if i'm heading out for some peppermint shrimp tonight :)
thanks again!
-One

drkegel

Just a little more about aptaisia!
I had quite a bit of that stuff in my tank, bought some p-mints. They ate all the little ones, but the two biggest ones they have not touched.
Is there another safe way to get rid of them without removing the rock its on??

volitan

Yeah, drkegel, there are several ways to get rid of aiptasia. You can try kalk injections. Mix some kalkwasser with a little bit of water to make a paste, and inject it into the aiptasia's face with a syringe (no needle). You can also try super glue. I've never seen this done, but I read that you can super glue over their hole after they retreat into it. It will look pretty bad for awhile, but corraline will grow over the superglue and you won't be able to tell it was ever there. HTH

byrself

your canopy looks alot like my roomate's setup. also, he had the same stand that you have now, and he built a new one to match the canopy. it really made a world of difference, i recommend you give that some thought also. it does better at hiding equipment and makes the tank more of a peice of furniture. just my .o2., also, go with the peppermint shrimp on the aptasia. they are cheap, and you won't have to pull them out later when you have corals. ;)

oneflysi

i plan on building a nice stand to match eventually, but for now i'm done building stuff :) i would love to have an enclosed stand so i can use my extra 10 gallon to start a refugium underneath....but until then, no refugium. i also just might spring the little extra cash for one already built?? who knows, but i agree, the stand can make a big difference. hell, the canopy made a big difference.
didn't have time tonight to get any pep shrimp, hopefully tonight though.
-One

zack schwartz

Hey so how long did it take you to make that canopy. Looks very nice :D . How much $ are the mh retro fit kits? VERY NICE TANK! ;)