Lawnmower Bleny. Is he starving?

lvmtn2day

I just got a lawnmower blenny and it is very thin. I cuold see it's bone(s).There is't much(if any)algae in the tank and I think that he doesn't know that there are algae sheets in the tank. Please help me. :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

bullyfish

We are dealing with the same issue. The only thing that has worked for us was rubberbanding the alge sheets onto a rock. He "nipped" at it a couple times but not eating great. We are also leaving the lights on for a little longer to encourage some more alge growth...
I will be watching your post to see if anyone has any good advise.
Good Luck!

garnet13aj

I was looking into getting a lawnmower blenny and they need a mature tank because they are algea growers. I don't know if your tank is mature and just w/o algea or if it isn't mature enough but I know they thrive better in mature tanks. Good luck getting him to eat though, I hoope it works out.

lolly1

I am having a similar problem with mine. He doesn't seem to be getting thin, but he is constantly hiding. I feed formula two, but the minute he sees me, he panics and won't come out during feeding. I thought these fish were supposed to have "such personality"!!!

petieaztec

after i switched from formula one to mysis my fish have gotten more playful and bigger. they will not touch the formula one stuff now. plus its got a lot of fillers. Turn off you filter so that the fish get to eat the food before it gets sucked up. some people turn there power heads off but i keep mine on. whatever works thats what i say. good luck and keep us posted. ohh and check your water, if you dont have a test kit go get the 5 in 1 quick dip. tests for ph, nitrate, nitrite, alk, and..... i forget.

petieaztec

Originally Posted by Lolly1
I am having a similar problem with mine. He doesn't seem to be getting thin, but he is constantly hiding. I feed formula two, but the minute he sees me, he panics and won't come out during feeding. I thought these fish were supposed to have "such personality"!!!
mine does that as well... he comes out only when hungry or when they shrimp and him are having a lover quarrel.

doglvr

From my experience Blennies are shy creatures. It took a long time for mine to be comfortable with me close to the tank & I have to approach slowly if he is out to avoid startling it.
When I feed my tank, the blenny gets excited & will come out but I have never seen it actually eat brine, mysis, flakes, etc. My tank has a healthy growth of pink/red coraline, green & brown algae. I only clean the front glass on my tank, the back & sides are left alone. The first week I had the LMB, I didn't clean my glass at all, just let the algae grow. I know the Blenny is eating the green & brown algae on the glass because it leaves me "blenny kisses", you can see the mouth impressions where the algae was bitten off.
Honestly, my advice would be to take it back to the LFS or trade it to someone with an established tank before it dies. If this is not possible, leave the lights on longer & don't clean your glass to encourage algae growth. While, I never thought I would say this..do a water change with a little tap water, that would encourage an algae bloom quickly.

reef diver

Originally Posted by Lolly1
Give him awile, try staying in the room until he comes out of hiding, and just sit three for a whilke, then leave and do that eventually they get used to you.

gwh57

Mine is big and not shy, but he has been around for well over a year. He is always picking at the rocks and glass, but he also is a big eater of everything I feed the rest of the tank. Mine is not picky he eats everything from frozen, flake, pellet to seaweed.