LED lighting, Spectrum question

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombostic http:///t/389794/led-lighting-spectrum-question#post_3447357
A LOT of the reviews of the Marineland fixture mention lights going out after only a very short period of time, and on several different sites I read different problems with the power supply. The only up side is that Marineland seems to have pretty good customer service, but still, how much trouble is too much?
When you do a search for LED lighting, like the first twenty hits are Marineland!
It's probably because of the design and the fact that they give folks the illusion that it's a wise idea to have a fixture siting right on top of an open tank with all that moisture.

mombostic

Also, I don't have a reef set-up. I do have that colt and then the anemone. I've always sort of been of the opinion that anemones aren't great in a true reef aquarium. I'm sure others would disagree, but for me, I'd rather have the fish and the anemone. Just my clownfish pair and their host is what I consider the focal point of my aquarium. Still, I don't want to have the least amount of light possible--like I said, I like to have options!

mombostic

Oh, and I almost have to have a tank-mounted fixture, because I have a very high ceiling over the tank, and it would be weird to have to suspend one from that high up. And there is no light in the world worth moving that tank again!

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombostic http:///t/389794/led-lighting-spectrum-question/20#post_3447361
Also, I don't have a reef set-up. I do have that colt and then the anemone. I've always sort of been of the opinion that anemones aren't great in a true reef aquarium. I'm sure others would disagree, but for me, I'd rather have the fish and the anemone. Just my clownfish pair and their host is what I consider the focal point of my aquarium. Still, I don't want to have the least amount of light possible--like I said, I like to have options!

If your clowns are your focal point than the anemone should be as well if they've taken to it as their host. It should thrive like they do. And I'm sure anyone who's attempted keeping a reef tank would surely admit that it can be like a battle sometimes with what you're trying to keep. They say that research goes a long way to being successful as to being able and capable of making wiser choices in stocking, etc. Yet we sometimes see things we can't pass up. :p And that's there is the biggest challenge of all.

mombostic

Well, I did say my clownfish "and their host," meaning my anemone. Actually it's two anemones, since it split a few years back, but the two pieces are still side by side and the clowns hang out in both.
I've had these same fish and anemone for several years. The anemone started under CF and then I upgraded to MH, and it did better. I should have started with the MH and saved the money and hassle. Live and learn.
I'm sorry, I don't really understand your point with this comment. I'm actually pretty happy with the fact that I've kept them as well as I have for as long as I have. I don't want to do something now that will mess up what is working, but I am worried about the age of my light, and it is hot and noisy and sucks a lot of energy. But I won't change just for the sake of change. I haven't been on this forum in a while, and haven't done a lot of current research about lighting, so the LED thing is totally foreign to me. I'm trying to learn about it now, because it sounds promising. But I don't want to take a step backwards.
I'm not really interested in keeping a lot of corals--that was the point of my comment. The anemone is really the only creature in my tank that needs specialized lighting. I could give the colt away if it wasn't thriving, but I don't want to do that with my anemone. What would happen to my clowns if the anemone was gone? I guess that is a question for a different thread, but I was just trying to hear what people thought of the LED setups and if they really did provide enough light. I guess maybe you can't name specific brands on here, and that's ok. I'm also limited because I can't make my own, and that's what it seems like most of the folks here do. Maybe I should just stick with a new MH fixture.

geoj

I chose the Aqua Illuminations Super Blue LEDs. I started with one over my 60gal cube and added a second to get full coverage. The controller functions but I may upgrade later on. What I looked for is to be able to dim the blue and whites separate. Do you need 3 watt leds or can you go with 1 watt I think the verdict is sill out on that. As for heat the Aqua Illumination does not transfer any heat to the water as I have it set up. The heat that comes off the fixture does not radiate down. There is very little infrared radiation or radiant energy projected by the leds like in MH lights.

geoj

Ok, I am breaking my rule of only posting on things I have direct experience with but here are two more fixtures that look to be promising...
EcoTech Marine Radion XR30w LED Light Fixture
24 Inch Orphek Power Reef PR156 LED Light Fixture

mombostic

Thanks!
Since my tank is 48" long, how does a 24" fixture work? I assume you would get two of them to provide enough light in the tank?

mombostic

Great question.
I'm going to have to get a new fixture regardless, and so I was just wondering about the LEDs. I like the slim design, and who wouldn't love the fact that they consume less energy and are quieter? That's my biggest complaint with the MH fixture that I have. In other words, I thought they might be better. Technically I wasn't having any troubles with my CF lights when I upgraded to MH, and that turned out to be a good decision.
Just trying to "learn and get some knowledge!" (as Marlin says.)

luvmyreef

The fixture I was looking at for less money was the evo100 or the evo150, search it online. Seems pretty decent to me.

mombostic

Those are nice--I'm not sure about the way it looks when it's a hanging fixture.
Thanks everyone for the input!