Leopard Shark

aw2x3

Originally Posted by Cartman101
Not unless you have a tank size of 1,000gal minimum.

Needs to be ALOT bigger than that. You're looking at a minimum of 4,000 - 5,000 gal. of chilled water, for an adult Leopard.

neptune100

You're looking at a minimum of 4,000 - 5,000 gal. of chilled water, for an adult Leopard.
Now what would one consider the temperture to be in the middle of the summer in the waters off the coast of San Diego California? For Leopard sharks prefer cool and warm temperture waters.

Buddy

cartman101

Originally Posted by AW2x3
Needs to be ALOT bigger than that. You're looking at a minimum of 4,000 - 5,000 gal. of chilled water, for an adult Leopard.
That was only for a little pup, I forgot to mention he would need to upgrade

waterman

I've kept several sharks in the past, including three Leopard Sharks. They were very easy to care for, at least for me. I got rid of everything when I moved to Las Vegas, from CA, five years ago. I have a 300, 125, 55, 50, and 30 gal setup(s) now, and I do plan on expanding in the future! I have been keeping marine fish since 1992. If anyone knows where I can buy a (12" or less/size pup), at a fair market value, please let me know! Thanks!

waterman

I definitely appreciate the concerns of my fellow hobbyist! It's good to see you guys on the patrol! Nonetheless, as I stated before, I am no newcomer to maintaining sharks. Unfortunately since moving to Las Vegas, I have yet to find a local store that stocks even the best selections of traditional marine fish and/or corals. Although Las Vegas has grown rapidly, it still suffers from growing pains in many industries. There is definitely more to choose from in California!
My wife and I are looking forward to having a custom home built. We would be following a family tradition. My uncle is a builder. He is based out of Atlanta. Anyway, I look forward to having a very large tank underneath the living room floor (glass bottom boat concept). I affectionately call it my "Shark Pit!" I originally wanted to stock it with Sand Sharks, but since owning Leopard Sharks, I have changed my mind!
Once again, I definitely appreciate the concerns of my fellow hobbyist and it's good to see you guys on the patrol. Keep up the good work! To date, I have disclosed the necessary details needed with regards to my marine background, love for the species, and future intentions. If my answers prove to be unsatisfactory to some of you, and you wish to withhold info, I respect your decisions.
For those of you who can still respect a person for his knowledge and integrity (and wish divest yourselves of this sacred information), I greatly thank you! Regardless of your opinion or viewpoint, please have a great day or evening!
For those of you who wish to email me directly, please send an email to tetroktech@earthlink.net (please respect my email address, thank you).

pat713

You should fit right in with your living room like that, in L.A. anyway. I'd love to have that setup at my house though. How big do those sharks get BTW?

ophiura

Out of respect for the owner and operator of this site, we ask that you not request links to other stores, thank you

armoreefer

I live in LA, and Leopard Sharks breed in the local waters every fall, and then migrate up to the Pacific Northwest as they grow and go further into colder waters.
A few years back I had a 100g tank and decided to just keep one of the leopards that I caught (I usually just throw them back) and I kept him in a 100g tank for about a year, then I took him back and threw him in the ocean. They are one of the most amazing animals ever. However, even though you have kept leopards in the past successfully, doesnt mean you should. Leopards actually grow very slowly because they have a 30 year lifespan, however they will eventually outgrow your tank, then what are you going to do. Once a leopard shark is accustomed to being fed, he cannot hunt for himself, what happens then? A baby leopard is easy to care for and can live in home aquariums, as he grows, he will need much much colder waters, are you prepared for that? If you are, then thats great, Im just saying they can be tempting at first, but rest assured, they are not meant for home aquaria as they will eventually die in captivity. Local zoos and wildlife preserves will not adopt them because they already get millions of request from ill-advised hobbyists who are now stuck with a 6 foot shark.
I can catch them anytime off the coast in LA...just go out with your fishing pole to the beach, stick a blood worm on your hook, cast your line right after the wave break and walla, you have yourself a leopard. I dont go fishing for leopards, but I catch them all the time and throw them back. Stingrays, batrays, smoothhounds, tiger shovelnose sharks are abundant too....

krj-1168

Well, leopards are now illegal below 36", due to them being protected in CA waters.
So buying a baby leopard is completely out of the question. I've seen 3' long leopards offered for about $ 1,000(East coast prices).
They grow to be to about 6' in length.
And do require at least 4,600 gallons as adults.

krj-1168

No any more.
The price of $150 sounds right - when they were available.
But it's been about 3 years since I last saw any pups available.
As I've said before - leopard pups are illegal now - they are protected by California law.

reeftank27

yeah I know but he can still get them in, I think he said they dont collect for cali...not sure but he said he could get me one if I wanted it. I havent seen one in about 6 months