Let's talk about you...

crimzy

What's up everyone? Who doesn't like talking about themselves? And I promise I'll read about you, (even if no one else will). :hi:
I used to be really active on this site but when I got rid of my fish, I started to just troll periodically and then disappear again. I just set up a new fish tank so it helped renew my interest on this site.
I'm divorced with 2 beautiful daughters, ages 8 and 6. My girls are basically my best friends, which works out at their ages because they're young enough that daddy is still their hero. I have my own law firm and recently got back together with a girl who I've dated off and on since my divorce. She really wants to get married and have a baby... This is a little terrifying to me as being a single dad of girls my daughters' ages is great.
I have a good crew of guy friends I'm close with. They occupy most of my kid-free weekends and are always good for a laugh.
Btw, I'm a proud resident of metro Detroit. The city has been a hot mess for my whole life but at least we have good sports, (although none have been overly impressive lately).
Anyway, I'm enjoying this site right now. It's cool that so many of the old timers are still here.
So come on in, lay back on this couch, and share.... There's a lot of love in here. :))):

2quills

What's up everyone? Who doesn't like talking about themselves? And I promise I'll read about you, (even if no one else will). :hi:
I used to be really active on this site but when I got rid of my fish, I started to just troll periodically and then disappear again. I just set up a new fish tank so it helped renew my interest on this site.
I'm divorced with 2 beautiful daughters, ages 8 and 6. My girls are basically my best friends, which works out at their ages because they're young enough that daddy is still their hero. I have my own law firm and recently got back together with a girl who I've dated off and on since my divorce. She really wants to get married and have a baby... This is a little terrifying to me as being a single dad of girls my daughters' ages is great.
I have a good crew of guy friends I'm close with. They occupy most of my kid-free weekends and are always good for a laugh.
Btw, I'm a proud resident of metro Detroit. The city has been a hot mess for my whole life but at least we have good sports, (although none have been overly impressive lately).
Anyway, I'm enjoying this site right now. It's cool that so many of the old timers are still here.
So come on in, lay back on this couch, and share.... There's a lot of love in here. :))):
Kind of hard to understand someone when you don't really know them. :)
Born in Southern California and then spent 16 years around the Metro Detroit area. If it wasn't for the economy I would have love to have stayed. Most of my family is still there (upside down in their mortgages unfortunately) but I still have love for The D.
After my little business there started going south I decided to make a change. Took a job in the communications industry that kept me traveling a lot. Eventually met my one and only wife and moved to be with her. Started work remodeling which turned into a business venture that brought us to Texas and now here we are 7 years later and still quite happy.
No kids (just pets).
I'm really not as evil as I sound sometimes. I'm just passionate about my beliefs.

2quills

What pets?
As of today it's 2 dogs, 2 cats and apparently we are now fostering a pair of parakeets as well. Got a bi-colored blennie named Steve and a neighborhood cat that loves our house for some reason.
Yesterday we had to put our toy poodle to sleep who has been with us for 7 years. We took her in for my wife's aunt who had passed away. It was a tough day. Had to get a friend to do it for us because I was too weak. :(

zoidberg01

Well a few years ago I was very lonely because I was different than the american culture so one day I picked up a book . The book literally became my best friend I read those 276 pagesover and again I fell in love with a book so last year I set up a saltwater aquarium inspired by the book

crimzy

As of today it's 2 dogs, 2 cats and apparently we are now fostering a pair of parakeets as well. Got a bi-colored blennie named Steve and a neighborhood cat that loves our house for some reason.
Yesterday we had to put our toy poodle to sleep who has been with us for 7 years. We took her in for my wife's aunt who had passed away. It was a tough day. Had to get a friend to do it for us because I was too weak. :(
Sorry to hear about the poodle. I remember the days of having lots of animals. Then the kids came...

flower

OOO a thread about ourselves on a get to know you thing.

So 2Quills...LOL...you are a master builder! I would have guessed master plumber. I'm so sorry about your poodle, it's like loosing your Aunt all over again. Dan, my late husband, was with me when we got Atticus, my male shepherd...he is turning 9 this year and the life span is only like 12 to 14 years....that's going to be a hard loss...Then again he may outlive me.

Crimzy, I remember when you got your divorce, if I could have crawled through the lines and give you an encouraging hug, I would have. When I first started visiting this site, that creepy, creepy little baby doll freaked me out.

Okay, about me...

[*]I'm retired from the railroad, Metra commuter trains, based in Chicago...I was a cleaning lady for 35+ years. I live in the Gurnee area now (Northwest suburbs)
[*]I have 3 children, and 14 Grandchildren...2 grand kids are extended family from previous relationships ( my kids liked a ready made family)...but they were very little when they came into the family, so I'm Nana to them all them same. I drive a mini van for when they visit...in shifts, they won't all fit in my house at once. The rule is no more then 3 kids at a time, overnight. We can manage for a few hours for a whole family. Mother is too old to deal with little ones that visit in large herds for too long.
[*]I take care of my Mother, we live in our own house with a big fenced yard, it's a tiny house
but it's on a double lot.
[*]I have two German Shepherds, male and female ... I bred them only once because Mother wanted puppies, LOL, in this little house, never again, we sold the pups to good homes, made some serious money, and I had Tam spayed. They are our babies. They defend us from the mailman, shadows in the night, and all strangers friend or foe.
I have a Blue Front amazon parrot named Jellybean, I purchased him as an egg, he hatched on Mother's day 2007...LOL..He is MY baby, Mother is afraid he will bite her, he loves only me...she isn't a bird person that's okay, she does give him peanuts through the bars of his cage, so she doesn't hate him I guess.
I love seahorses and went crazy, and now have two dedicated tanks...the 90g reef was converted to a Potbelly horse tank, and the 56g is a Kuda horse tank.
I spend my days on this site.

crimzy

Crimzy, I remember when you got your divorce, if I could have crawled through the lines and give you an encouraging hug, I would have. When I first started visiting this site, that creep, creepy little baby doll freaked me out
When I started using the baby, the eyes moved back and forth. It was just after my oldest was born.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimzy http:///t/396952/lets-talk-about-you#post_3536937
When I started using the baby, the eyes moved back and forth. It was just after my oldest was born.

LOL...I remember that...it seemed everyone had an animated icon. I hated the one where the stick guy was beating a dead horse. It blinked real fast, besides moving and hitting the horse, and I'm surprised it didn't cause me have seizures.

silverado61

If I told you everything this is to know about me I'd have to write a book. Or at least a very long blog. So I'll just give the readers digest version.

I grew up in foster homes. Eight to be exact and spent 4yrs in an orphanage. Which probably explains why I have very few friends. My wife of over 22 years being my best friend. Flower, I hope, is another one of my friends. Seeing as she only lives about 7 miles away from me and I bug her for info and bristleworms all the time.

I've been driving trucks for the last 20 years or so but lately the stress of it has been getting to me so I'm hoping to retire from it. Maybe I'll get a job working at Home Depot so I can get a discount and build a killer tank stand like 2quills. NOT. I couldn't touch that talent with 10ft fish net.

I had a saltwater tank about 30yrs ago when I lived in California. That lasted about a year. Just bought a used 20g with gravel and an under gravel filter with a HOB filter. Stirred in some salt and declor. Then I tossed in a yellow tang, a scallop and a chocolate chip star. walah! A tank! looking back with what little I know now I'm surprised they lasted a day. Let alone a year. After the last one died (The Tang) I tore it down and walked away. I regretted it ever since.

Now I live in Gurnee, IL. and I have my 36g with my invert critters. I only hope I'm doing it right this time. I'm still making a lot of mistakes but at least this time I'm learning from them. With the help of all the great people here, I think I'll do good this time around. I'm just now starting a 72g build with a custom stand. I just hope I can finish it before it's my time to go. lol

2quills

Silverado, you can do anything you want IMO with a little practice. I always say that if I can do anything at all then I'm sure a lot of people can do it. My wife's father has been driving rig for 50 years now. I don't know how he does it. They don't build em like him anymore.
lol Flower, I'm no master of anything. Just a guy who's always worked hard and been kicked in the face by life many times. I consider myself a student of life forever and always.
Zoidberg, welcome to the hobby and our crazy little family.

zoidberg01

It's nice to have friends that like fish because I rarely find people that like fish tanks . When I found this website it was because I went crazy searching about fish and I saw posts made by you guys so I joined to here information the best way from experience

reefraff

I am down to one parrot now. The sun conure I believe croaked from a heart attack last week so now we just have the grey menace, the toe chewing African Grey.

Still have my reef tank but one foots out the door. Bored with it.

I grew up in SoCal, Moved to Phoenix for a couple years, decided it was like LA except they paid less and it got hotter so I moved to Northern Idaho. There for a short time and ended up in Western Montana for like 13 years where I met my wife. In 2006 we undid my life style choice (no, not that) and moved to the Denver Metro are when a job opportunity presented itself here. When I left California I took about a 60% pay cut (it was worth it). Since 2006 my wife's salary has more than doubled so I got my money back LOL!

While in Montana I fell victim to Highway 93 back in 2000. Some goober decided it made more sense to hit me head on rather than A) rear ending the station wagon he didn't notice stopped on his side of the two lane highway or B) putting himself into the 20 foot bar ditch I ended up in after he hit me head on. 5 months later I was back home. But hey, it only hurts when I am awake LOL!

So now I fill my days arguing on the internet and playing stock market.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/396952/lets-talk-about-you#post_3536975
I am down to one parrot now. The sun conure I believe croaked from a heart attack last week so now we just have the grey menace, the toe chewing African Grey.

Still have my reef tank but one foots out the door. Bored with it.

I grew up in SoCal, Moved to Phoenix for a couple years, decided it was like LA except they paid less and it got hotter so I moved to Northern Idaho. There for a short time and ended up in Western Montana for like 13 years where I met my wife. In 2006 we undid my life style choice (no, not that) and moved to the Denver Metro are when a job opportunity presented itself here. When I left California I took about a 60% pay cut (it was worth it). Since 2006 my wife's salary has more than doubled so I got my money back LOL!

While in Montana I fell victim to Highway 93 back in 2000. Some goober decided it made more sense to hit me head on rather than A) rear ending the station wagon he didn't notice stopped on his side of the two lane highway or B) putting himself into the 20 foot bar ditch I ended up in after he hit me head on. 5 months later I was back home. But hey, it only hurts when I am awake LOL!

So now I fill my days arguing on the internet and playing stock market.

Hi,

So sorry about your sun Conjure...I bet it's sadly quieter in your house now...unless the toe chewer learned to mimic that sound, either way, I'm very sorry for your loss. LOL..Was the grey menace a hand fed baby?... Meaning is he friendly towards people, or did you have to really work with him to become friends?

I had a black hood Conjure when my daughter was a baby just learning to say mama (I had him for 11 years)...he didn't have near the beauty of a sun conjure. The noise that came out of that one small little parrot was deafening. I would come home from work and there would be sofa pillows, shoes, and other odds and ends the kids and my husband would throw at the cage to shut him up...He would SCREAM "Mama" to the top of his birdy lungs all day until I covered him at night. LOL...I would uncover him as I left for work each morning. Nobody needed an alarm clock to wake them up for school.

My grandmother wanted him, she took him down South and said he only screamed when somebody came up the drive...he was her watch "dog-bird". I was delighted they made such a good match.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/396952/lets-talk-about-you#post_3536980

Hi,

So sorry about your sun Conjure...I bet it's sadly quieter in your house now...unless the toe chewer learned to mimic that sound, either way, I'm very sorry for your loss. LOL..Was the grey menace a hand fed baby?... Meaning is he friendly towards people, or did you have to really work with him to become friends?

I had a black hood Conjure when my daughter was a baby just learning to say mama (I had him for 11 years)...he didn't have near the beauty of a sun conjure. The noise that came out of that one small little parrot was deafening. I would come home from work and there would be sofa pillows, shoes, and other odds and ends the kids and my husband would throw at the cage to shut him up...He would SCREAM "Mama" to the top of his birdy lungs all day until I covered him at night. LOL...I would uncover him as I left for work each morning. Nobody needed an alarm clock to wake them up for school.

My grandmother wanted him, she took him down South and said he only screamed when somebody came up the drive...he was her watch "dog-bird". I was delighted they made such a good match.

Sun Conure was a big mouth too. I kept a water bottle at the ready as my mute button LOL! If I wasn't in the room that's one thing but when I am sitting there, ain't happening.
The menace is just a prick. I was doing something with the Conures cage and the gray was on a floor patrol. He nibbles on my right foot a little and I didn't pay attention to him. So he goes over to the left foot which is mostly paralyzed and laid open my bestest most favorite big toe. Left a pool of blood on the floor the size of a large pizza. He was hand raised, really likes people (they taste like chicken) just bites. The people I got him from would handle him by making him get on his portable perch. I have him to the point where he should trust me so I got some cavilar gloves and welding gloves. At least he shouldn't be able to puncture those. Once I get him broke to lead on stepping up I can toss the gloves and get him hand tame again. This can happen with a hand fed bird once they reach sexual maturity. They get territorial and bite just because they can.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/396952/lets-talk-about-you#post_3536986

Sun Conure was a big mouth too. I kept a water bottle at the ready as my mute button LOL! If I wasn't in the room that's one thing but when I am sitting there, ain't happening.
The menace is just a prick. I was doing something with the Conures cage and the gray was on a floor patrol. He nibbles on my right foot a little and I didn't pay attention to him. So he goes over to the left foot which is mostly paralyzed and laid open my bestest most favorite big toe. Left a pool of blood on the floor the size of a large pizza. He was hand raised, really likes people (they taste like chicken) just bites. The people I got him from would handle him by making him get on his portable perch. I have him to the point where he should trust me so I got some cavilar gloves and welding gloves. At least he shouldn't be able to puncture those. Once I get him broke to lead on stepping up I can toss the gloves and get him hand tame again. This can happen with a hand fed bird once they reach sexual maturity. They get territorial and bite just because they can.

LOL...I don't want Crimzy's thread to become a bird topic, but I read that if you weigh the food in his dish, and weigh it again at lights out to discover just how much he actually eats... and then only give him that much, and any treats or favorite foods come from your hand only...it will stop the biting in it's tracks. I used to belong to a parrot site, much like this one...I was told this method really works.

Teenagers are a pain...LOL, no matter the species. Jelly will only be 7 this May 15th...the teens haven't happened yet. I read his body language really well, if he is being an a$$, he stays in his cage. His sleeping cage has no food or water, just a soft perch and for sleeping only, so getting him up in the morning to his regular cage is easy. So far he only bites if he thinks he is saving me from strangers. I don't mess with him when I have visitors. Parrots bite to send a mate away to safety, and to date....I don't need to flee anyone but him.

Having Jelly in a sleeping cage forces me to handle him twice a day, and I always talk and sing to him. I don't let him out of his cage often, he goes wondering, and I worry about Tamerah (female shepherd)making a snack out of him. Last summer he wondered onto the back porch, and there is a hawk that hangs out in a tree ...it could have been bad. The walk from one cage to the other is a nice petting time too. Parrots need 12 hours of sleep or they get cranky and nippy. I always use a perch and not my hand to transfer him, his nails are sharp and his toes have super grip from hanging upside down to sing. That way, if he is in a bad mood someday, he can bite the stick all he want's.

reefraff

My bird thinks he's a dog. If I let him out he'll go down on the floor and follow the black dog around whistling and saying "get over here" He doesn't like the Beagle and will try to vice grip his tail given the chance.

meowzer

LOL.....There is not enough time in the world to write about my life ...so you will get a very condensed version

I grew up in New York.....I had 4 children with my 1st husband....that marriage was almost ten years of living hell....he was a drunk and abusive
filed for divorce...decided I needed to find out WHO I WAS.....met Danny....my 2nd husband almost immediately after being separated......he was from OKlahoma....and after a year I decided to move here with him

20 years ago

he had 2 children (boys)..I have 4 (3 girls 1 boy)..6 years ago we lost his eldest at age 25. we have 13 grandchildren HAHA.....

I have not been on here too much lately because I have just had a lot going on.....I am currently in a custody battle for my 10 year old grand-daughter.....she is the oldest child of my oldest child. My oldest child has 3 kids....2 are with a biological uncle in TX...one is in foster care because CPS got involved.....my oldest daughter got involved with METH.....I don't think I need to say anymore :(

I am hoping in 2 weeks I should know whether or not my guardianship will be approved or not......and once they file the parental termination I plan on adopting her

I still have 4 saltwater tanks, and 1 freshwater......I live in a very rural area....so I have NO ONE to talk to about my hobby...LOL....

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/396952/lets-talk-about-you#post_3537015
LOL.....There is not enough time in the world to write about my life ...so you will get a very condensed version

I grew up in New York.....I had 4 children with my 1st husband....that marriage was almost ten years of living hell....he was a drunk and abusive
filed for divorce...decided I needed to find out WHO I WAS.....met Danny....my 2nd husband almost immediately after being separated......he was from OKlahoma....and after a year I decided to move here with him

20 years ago

he had 2 children (boys)..I have 4 (3 girls 1 boy)..6 years ago we lost his eldest at age 25. we have 13 grandchildren HAHA.....

I have not been on here too much lately because I have just had a lot going on.....I am currently in a custody battle for my 10 year old grand-daughter.....she is the oldest child of my oldest child. My oldest child has 3 kids....2 are with a biological uncle in TX...one is in foster care because CPS got involved.....my oldest daughter got involved with METH.....I don't think I need to say anymore :(

I am hoping in 2 weeks I should know whether or not my guardianship will be approved or not......and once they file the parental termination I plan on adopting her

I still have 4 saltwater tanks, and 1 freshwater......I live in a very rural area....so I have NO ONE to talk to about my hobby...LOL....

Hi,

I see you post on facebook...you just gotta post here a little more, don't forget us. You ALWAYS have folks you can talk to about your hobby.

{{{HUG}}} I will say a little prayer for your grandbaby to come stay with you, and a prayer for your daughter as well. Lena had a ready made family (I never counted those 4 kids as my grandkids...too old and never knew tham), anyway the oldest died from an overdose a few years back. Drugs shorten or ruin so many lives. I would think a grandmother would be able to get the child over keeping her in foster care...that doesn't make it any easier on the nerves while waiting to hear something.

darthtang aw

Twice Married. First time was to young, Second time is perfect.
Love music, go to a lot of concerts. Travel fairly regularly
Three Children
Transfered to New Mexico from Minnesota after my divorce.
Run two pet related businesses.
Dislike Government 9as if you didn't know)
One reef at home that is semi-neglected, a nano at the business. At one point I had 7 tanks going.
General smart ass.
Darth (That is me in a nutshell) Tang