LFS testing your reef tank water?

h2o

I have read many posts in the past about errors in reef water testing, and many had recommended by taking sample water to local fish store for more accurate testing.
My question is: Does your local fish store do that for you, for free or for a small fee? I had some doubt with my calcium testing using Red Sea Lab, so today I took a sample to many local stores, and guess what? they don't test it, nor they would do it for a fee. Instead they all wanted to sell me the same testing kit i alreday have for $20 more than i paid for.

stacy

IMO I think you may want to consider a new LFS. Mine will do all the tests I want at no charge. They gave me a hard time when I 1st started this hobbie because I would be in there at least twice a week to compare their readings with mine. Just my opinion.

h2o

wait a minute, are you saying your LFS will do a test for free, to anyone, or prefer customers?

wolffam

The two LFS I use will test the water for free. I have also brought a sample to LFS (Houston) for testing before I bought from them and they tested it for free. Maybe becuase I'm buying at the time they don't mind. But I have seen them charge fir a test when they was no purchase pending. HTH

karlas

the lfs i go to will test water for free also. one has a small donation box if you want to drop a buck or 2. but no problems testing at all.

puffermama

my lfs does their test for free :) im glad to because we are in there atleast once a week having it tested...good thing we only live about 4 miles away :D

cyn

Any time I have questioned my tests, my LFS (Houston, not real local) has tested my water free. I immagine if I was in there every week wanting a complete test they might want to charge. They do have to pay for the supplies too, but as an occasional double check they do not even question it.
cyn