life expectency

smbuddy46

i recently bought a japannese swollow and since then i have lost 4 fish. he was very shy and hid in the rocks most of the time. about 2 weks later i lost a racoon butterfly and a bicolor angel at the same time. wek after that a female bird wrasse and then then the swollow. my point is, do any of have any luck keeping your fish for any period of time let's say 6months or better. i have a maroon clown i have had for a year and besides hime all my fish have died here and there and i have bought more. i change my water every 1 to 2 weeks, i test it onthly and everrything is o as for as my nitrites, nitrates, and amonia my ph is 8.2 . so i just don't get it. is this what this hobby is all about just replenishing the fish you have lost with new ones, because i might as well empty my tank and throw my spare change in it when i get home at night. at least i'll have something to show for my money. at the moment i have 2 tangs left a naso and purple and three peculiar clowns in a 125 and i have no desire to buy any more. i think when they die i will probably sell my live rock and end it at that. thanks for listeneing

cheyco

That is sad and you sound frustrated but really maybe you are doing something wrong. Not blaming here it's just that, sometimes I lose a fish here or there but you seem to have a continuious problem. Have you thought of everything that could be wrong or anything you have done differently ? I hope you get some ideas from your post. The tank set up wasn't too new was it? Sorry if you mentioned the time frame already. Good luck and I hope you stick with it.

bang guy

It's very important to study the animals you wish to keep to make sure you have an environment suitable for them. For example, a 6 foot tank is a bit too small for a Naso Tang, perfect for a Purple. 3 Percula Clowns will eventually be 2 Percula Clowns.
You can keep fish long term but it takes more than just buying any fish that looks nice. You need to make sure they will thrive with what you have to offer them.

unleashed

sorry to hear your having such a problem .there is nothing wrong with having a naso tang in a 6 ft tank I could understand if you had a 55 gal but this is not the case and im quite sure its not even near it potential adult size yet.all your water parimeters you say check good levels weekly to bi weekly water changes.are you quarentining your new fish before adding them to your main tank.this is very important eecspecially since your having trouble keeping you fish alive more than a couple weeks.please dont get me wrong in this is popost others have covered alot of different bases but one so ill do it. DIET
proper nutrition is very important for keeping marine fish.you had a large variety of species in that tank did you meet all of their nutritional needs.you had carnivores (bird wrasse) omnivores (clowns) and herbavores(tangs) i suggest researching on what the proper feeding schedule for these fish reccomended by experts not just other hobbiest. do multi searches even the experts tend to have different oppinions when it comes to some species requirements.

promisetbg

How is this tank set up..do you have powerheads for circulation?Does it have a sump w/ a return pump and protein skimmer? What is your value for Alkalinity and phosphates?What are you using to test SG.?When you do water changes,what is your routine?Do you adjust the temp and PH of the change water and let it circulate for 24 hours? Are you topping off the tank every day with fresh water?Are you using RO/DI water? What is your practice for acclimation?Do you know how long the LFS has kept the fish before you purchased them..and do you ask to see them eat?Are you QT'ing the fish before adding them to your display? What were the outward signs/symptoms of the fish before they died?
As you see,there are many variables and possibilities. Sorry for your losses..hang in there..we can help!