Lighting/canopy question...

rs1831

I have a canopy that I would like to use but its not tall enough for me to put my halides in and have enough room to keep the heat down. Would it be safe to place the 2x250hqi pendants on top of the canopy if it had a open top. They can rest on the 2 pieces of wood that hold the canopy together on top. Should I put something between the halides and the wood? A lfs near me does this and they don't have any problems.
Thanks

scsinet

You might be okay, but honestly I wouldn't want to use wood with the kind of heat involved.
Go to Lowes or Home Depot. Go to the hardware section and ask for where the angle iron is. In that same section, they'll have angle aluminum that will support the lights safely, and not corrode in the seawater environment.

rs1831

Would I be better off just adding a piece of wood to each side of the canopy so that I can run a piece of wood across that would allow me to hang the halides from that. That way there still would be space between the water and the halides plus it wouldn't be resting on the wood.