Lighting for Bubble Tip Anemone

zeke92

I've searched and searched, found tons of different answers, and i am just overwhelmed by all the lighting options. Between the watts per gallon and the many types of lighting i've found, i still have no idea what i need to buy, and all i've done is confuse myself even more.
I have a 55 gallon aquarium, about 19-20 inches deep.
I would like to buy completely new hoods for my aquarium, the current ones are old and salty. They are 24 inches long and about 11 1/2 inches wide, so i'd like some sort of lighting that can fit there easily. I noticed the HO t5 things seem to be lamps that need hooked onto the ceiling..that sort of thing isn't an option.
So i was wondering if anyone had any information to help me out here. I just need to know what type of lighting and how much watts to get of it.
Also, if i have one 100 watt (for example) light bulb over one side, and another on the other side of the tank, is that only 100 watts of light for the aquarium, or would it be considered 200 watts? Since only 100 watts is over each side?
Lights are very confusing, need some help if possible

Thanks in advance

lmecher

A bta will do wonderfully under T5s. I have several nova extreme units, I would highly recomend them. For a 55 you could get one of the 4 bulb or 6 bulb units, I'd go with 50/50-10,000k and atinic bulbs. I use one (2 bulb) unit on my 50 with just atinics along with a 250HQI just for color enhancment. I can't send links here but google nova extreme, they make several different fixtures that'd work on your tank. I would aim for 200 watts at the very least more would be better, it just depends how much you're willing to spend.