Lighting opinions

S

smartorl

I need opinions and direction. I have always wanted a small nano tank. I have several smaller tanks that I have used for my dwarf seahorses over the years. Most of these are just tanks I picked up here and there and have in storage.
I pulled out one of the larger ones which is a 12 gallon. After a short while, I pulled out the filtration and installed a HOB and a skimmer in addition to two powerheads to keep a good water flow.
Next, the lighting became an issue. With the ponies, it didn't matter but as I want a reef, after toying with the stock, I got aggrevated and modified two different small pc hoods.
This tank is thriving. My gorgonian collection, the knobby rods, the frags of zoas, hammer, frog spawn, the torch, and even my suncorals. In this tank, my suns have almost doubled in size!
I love the tank and it is all working but I hate the look of the lighting.
For a tank this size, keeping in mind, it's taller than wide, what would you nano savvy people recommend given what I have in it that are thriving under pc's.
I have zero reef nano experience and there is so much conflicting information out there.

anjiro

Well, I suppose there are a couple of other things we need to know to help you. First of all what are the dimensions of your tank? And second what do you not like about your currentl lighting? Are you wanting the ripple effect as seen in the ocean? Or are you just wanting to be able to keep any coral imaginable?
As far as lighting is concerned, if you are just seeking a good blue purple color, IME coralife 50/50 PC bulbs give good color. Over my 29 cube I have one 36 watt 16"actinic and one 96 watt 17" Coralife 50/50 quad bulb. I have right at about 132 watts of light and have been able to keep any softy, and have several LPS including a chalice, duncan and a hammer coral as well as a very large pagoda cup.
One my 29 tall I had a 6 bulb t-5 fixture and was able to keep any LPS around mid level any softy and had a couple of failed sps attempts.
I have never used metal halide, but if you want the desired ripple effect and the ability to keep anything under the sun, I think a 70 or 150 watt halide would adequately serve your purposes. Also an option which is expensive, is LED lighting, I recently helped a friend DIY a fixture for his planted tank. While this is the most economical option in the long run due to their long life and small electical use, it is quite expensive to start up. However, it's one of those things, give it a few years and it will be affordable.
Here's a little information, just post if you have any more questions and describe to us what you want
CL