lion vs blue hippo

donnal

well on the lion v tang
i lost my tang i think he got stong he turn a light powder blue with big wleps on him i found him dead in the tank this morning

shadow678

I'm sorry to hear that you tang died. It's pretty unlikely that he died from a lionfish sting, as the lions are fairly passive fish. Even if the tang were brushign against him, the lion is not likely to have attacked him, and certainly not repeatedly. The "welps" that were on the tang may have been from ick, as it can conglomerate into spots that will be more severe than the rest. This would also explain why his color faded. Lionfish stings are not very severe, they are meant to be more of a deterrant than a killing defense. In fact, I got sung by my black volitans just this afternoon while removing my sailfin tang from that tank. I guess I should have paid more attention to where he was. lol The venom in a lionfishes dorsal spines is nearly identical to a bees venom. Not very powerful, it does hurt a bit, but is not lethal. Even if the lion had stung the tang once, the tang would surely have known not to go back for more, and would have stayed far away from the lion from then on.

donnal

shadow
i have looked at my toma. clown very close and i did not see white spots on him at all. would the hippo be the only one to have it

shadow678

It very well could be that the tang was the only one that came down with it. Tangs are rather susceptible to ick, especially under high stress such as first introduction to the tank. It has, however, introduced the parasite into the tank, and if any other fish begin to show signs of it, they should be moved to a QT and treated for it to remove the parasite from your tank. You may try feeding your fish garlic-soaked foor every few days to help build their immunity and stop an outbreak before it starts.