Lionfish tank mates

nattybug33

I have a lionfish who, I have had forever now. He shares a 55g tank with a tang and 2 chromis. He's full grown and I feed him very well, he's never bothered his tankmates. Here's my question, I need a new clean up crew badly, can I put some invertebrates in there, like a coral banded, and other shrimp that size, also some snails and hermits. I know no fish that he can fit in his mouth. I'm asking because we had acquired a sickly panther grouper from a friend and being the animal lovers we are tried to bring him back to health and he didnt make it, I know that the grouper would have eaten the invertebrates.

aquaguy24

Wat type of lion are we talking about here. I wouldn't put shrimp. Snails are fine. Dwarf angels would do well.

sepulatian

Go with snails and hermits. Shrimp are a tasty treat, especially when introduced after the lion is comfortable.

salt210

Im sorry, but isnt a 55g too small for him? the one I have in my 210 is huge and he isnt done growing

cranberry

Do you have a picture of him in his tank? Are you sure it's a volitan? They don't really fit in a 55g tank at age of 4.
Ours is all squat up at age 3 in a 60g waiting for his new tank to be put together. If it is volitan and he actually fits in there.... he probably hasn't grown with because of nutrition issues.

nattybug33

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3106475
Do you have a picture of him in his tank? Are you sure it's a volitan? They don't really fit in a 55g tank at age of 4.
Ours is all squat up at age 3 in a 60g waiting for his new tank to be put together. If it is volitan and he actually fits in there.... he probably hasn't grown with because of nutrition issues.
Well I know he's a lionfish, but from the reference materials I've read he/she is a devil lionfish which the book says maximum size is 12in. So maybe I was wrong in saying its a volitan, and no he's grown ton since a bought him as a little bitty guy 4 years ago, I feed him very good food. The tank isnt filled up with rock and such, there is live rock in there but he has alot of room to "perch" and hunt.

cranberry

I would love to see a pic. The Devil Fish is often the common name for a Pterois mombasae. I've been looking for one of those forever. But we really need to get your ID pinned down 100% before we start making tankmate suggestions.
If that's a mombasae, I want to see LOTS of pics... please :)

fmarini

if you want to compare pictures, please look up my article. Its loaded w/ photos for ID'ing your lion-- google marini and lionfish, its the first hit.
If it is a P.mombassae then dont expect it to get bigger than 8" in captivity. While wild reports list them at a foot. I've never seen one that big in the home aquarium.