Lionfish?

scrombus2

I use a small pushnet in the grassflats here in S. Florida, mainly to collect small shrip and pods for my tank. I catch a diverse variety of creatures, some of which have a new home in my tanks. On my latest collecting trip, I caught a small (3/8" long) fish that sure looks like a baby lionfish to me. Problem is that I can't find a picture of a larval lionfish on the web. Lionfish disperse their eggs, and the larvae are pelagic, floating along in the planktonic soup. No report of successful breeding that I can find. This little fish is in my 10g biotope tank- NSW, locally collected LR and LS and a couple small blennies. This little guy is holding his own. He has all the color and pattern of a Volitan Lion, but the fins are not developed yet. I know there's several species of scorpionfish and sea robins locally, but I'm pretty surre it's a lion. If it is, it's gonna be the first documented case of lions breeding in the Atlantic. What I'm looking for is some photos of larval lions to compare this one to. I'll figure out some way to get a pic of him and post it. Any help would be appreciated.

scrombus2

I checked youtube also. This thing I've got is tiny! It is no bigger than my pinky fingernail. It is doing well in the tank, eating baby brines. I've tried to get a pic of him in the tank, but the pics don't come out good. I'm gonna fab a small acrylic box to put him in to photograph him.

dcoyle11

The Lion fish are all over the Atlantic recently.. we just seen a bunch while in the bahamas.. there have even been news blips about it..

scrombus2

He's been hiding in the rockwork. Haven't seen him in 24 hours. I'm thinking it is probably a scorpionfish anyway. Still gonna get a pic when I see him again.