Live rock and coroline algea

reeferdc

k first question.
Why is corline algea so good for your tank?
2nd question
How do i know when my base rock turns to live rock?
Thanks

jasonj75

as for why coraline algae is beneficial, im not sure here is a link that should help any questions about its benefits. as for when it becomes "live" it really all depends. you can visibly tell that its alive when you start to see things growing from the rock. tube worms, small feathers and other types of little creatures. it generally takes a few months or so before you will start to see things growing from your base rock. ive got some base rock that ive had for about 2 years now that looks just like LR that i bought from the LFS. covered in coraline algae!

jasonj75

as for why coraline algae is beneficial, im not sure here is a link that should help any questions about its benefits. as for when it becomes "live" it really all depends. you can visibly tell that its alive when you start to see things growing from the rock. tube worms, small feathers and other types of little creatures. it generally takes a few months or so before you will start to see things growing from your base rock. ive got some base rock that ive had for about 2 years now that looks just like LR that i bought from the LFS. covered in coraline algae! http://www.algone.com/coralline_algae.htm

reeferdc

ok thanks alot.
does anyone know why coroline algea is good for your tank? I have also seen this product called purple up that acually makes coroline algea... should i use this??
Thanks

jasonj75

you can use "purple up", ive never used it but ive heard that it works. oh, and to let you know coraline algae grows better under low lighting. on my first setup 75 gal. i was running 65x4 watts PC and the entire back of my tank was covered within 3-4 months. now on my current setup 90 gal. im running 250x2 mh and 65x2 pc and only have a few pieces of tank growing coraline, mainly near the top. you can also check around and see if your LFS or a buddy might give you some coraline scrapings off their tank. that will seed your tank for sure! i scraped off all the coraline from my 75 and crushed it up and poured it all over my rocks in my 90 and basically all my rocks are covered!!!

merredeth

Originally Posted by reeferDC
ok thanks alot.
does anyone know why coroline algea is good for your tank? I have also seen this product called purple up that acually makes coroline algea... should i use this??
Thanks
I've read a lot of good stuff about Purple Up versus Kalawasser and started using it. As a matter of fact, I encouraged my LFS to buy it because it is easier for newbies.
I like it so far and haven't had any problems with it in my second tank.
Denise M.