Live rock arrangment

3m

pardon me if this is a dumb question but being a newbie to this i'm sure I'll ask quite a few. I've just purchased 115 # of live marshall Island and fiji LR for my 75 galon tank. I am still cycling the tank goning on week three so I am hoping its safe to put this in now. all levels seem within reason although not perfect. My question is Now that i have this rock it looks like too much for the tank i have and is there certain things i should avoid when stacking or arranging the rock?Like i stated it looks like maybe I've ordered too much but perhaps i am mistaken.

hedonic

I would not worry about it. IF the rock was not cured it will jack up the water quality, not the other way around. Avoid placing the rock in such a way that it blocks water movement, it is important that water can flush areas around the sand and rock so you do not get buildups in deadspots. Plus your fish will enjoy the room to do laps around the rock work, I think they compete with each other in that regard. :thinking:

3m

yeah I have 4 PH at varying heights to better circulate water but i've also hidden the ph's from view. I havent added fish yet but when i do i am hoping they have room to play/hide

timo

When stacking, wiggle or push slightly on the rock to ensure it is "set" in position. You don't want to set yourself up for a reefalanche.
If indeed you did get too much, you have the advantage of using the pieces that fit then usind the rest for trading.
TimO

teen

did you already put the sand in? if not, you should put the rock in first and then pour the sand around it. this will prevent anything from burrowing underneath it and causing ur rockwork to fall over. also, if this rock isnt cured, it may cause another cycle, or prolong your cycle.
if u do have to much, i would like to buy some off you.

W

winstew

I would keep it away from the glass as well. Give your snails and mag-float room to get in there and do their thing.

3m

unfortunatly the sand is already in, so it'll try and set them in best i can.
so far so good i have rocks double high the length of the tank leaving just enough room along the back for hiding and other creatures.
the rocks so far seem locked into place , dare i go higher? how much room should i leave at the top? say a few inches from breaking the surface?

my way

When you set your first level of rocks in twist them back and forth in a spiral motion and it usuially pushes the sand away and gets them down to the glass. HTH

3m

btw yes they were cured when i bought them, figured it would save on a head ache later

S

sinner's girl

got a pic?
I live my lr arranged so fish/inverts and hide and play in it. though currently it's all in a big pile, which my stars loves.

christs

I'm confused. Cured rock will help the water quality and non-cured will cause another cycle? Why is that?

S

sinner's girl

I'm confused. Cured rock will help the water quality and non-cured will cause another cycle? Why is that?
non-cured has life that is dying on it....which will cause am, and thus a cycle. (unless you just add a little bit (like one piece) at a time, you might avoid this, but if you add lots and your tank can't handle it, it'll cycle, normally just a short cycle, but it's still harmful to life in the tank).
Cured rock must be kept wet to prevent die off, (if the rock is shipped check it before putting it in your tank if you have fish/inverts/corals).
If your tank isn't cycled, then the die off from the non-cured rock will help the cycle, the rock will cure as the tank cycles and then you'll have a cycled tank with cured lr.

3m

that figures i got the cured bits thinking it would make things easier but here it turns out the uncured bits would have helped my tank cycle. everytime i think i am doing the right thing it turns out i've done exactly opposite, Shesh

S

sinner's girl

3M, it won't hurt, you didn't do anything wrong...raw shrimp or fish food with start the cycle, lr will cycle the tank also, just take a little longer.

3m

yeah i know, i just thought the cured would be a better choice, turns out it wasnt and it was a bit more $ as well. oh well cant ake it with you right?

keith burn

JMO I have 150 lbs of lr in my 75gal
make caves and good access to front glass to clean it.
Live rock needs to remain in the water.
If you have more lr than you can put in tank
put it in a sump or refugium
put it all in until it is cured this will help tank water
I put my lr in a u shape well two u shapes

3m

thanks I've since gotten it all in and simply curved the corners outward and have tried to hid the PH's the best i can. I'll grab some photos later today