live rock curing help

pnkflydlvr

i finally got my live rock--45 lbs. the first week or curing seemed to go well. my family went on a weekend trip and when we got home, there had been a power outage and the water in the bucket seemed very cold. i can't say how long but the heater could've been off for anywhere from 1-3 days. did the live rock "die" or is it still ok? will this affect the curing process at all? thanks.

spanko

Yeah being cold probably did not do it any good. For curing you should have the rock, saltwater, a powerhead and a heater in the bucket. The rock should have dieoff that will help the curing process along still. Test every two days or so to watch for the nitrogen process. water changes to get rid of the nastiness is a good thing too. If you have a skimmer that would also be good but not necessary.

pnkflydlvr

yep i've got all of that set up in there. the skimmers been collecting junk like crazy and the bad smell of the rock has gone away. i'm really hoping that the temp. change didn't cause excess die off.

teresaq

Then I would just stick the live rock in your tank to help with your cycle. if you have no livestock, then just cure it in your tank.
T

The temp change shouldn't have done that much. When they ship the rock from the island or the supplier to the fish store, they normally wrap it wet newspaper and no heat packs. The bottom of the airplane can get very cold and even if it is in a cargo plane they don't normally heat the whole plane. You should be fine and and TeresaQ said just put the rock in the tank and let it cycle in there.

pnkflydlvr

good to know

i had thought about curing it in the tank, but we just got new carpet and i figured it would be easier to just use a plastic tub.