Live Rock

dangerfish

Yeah it should be great because then the fish have a little bit more room to swim and plenty of places to hide.

flower

Hi, welcome to the site...

A 55g is a very narrow tank, and 50lbs of rock will leave no swim room for the fish. Build your rock about half way up the back, and leave some open space to create a cave or two, you don't need all that rock.

mopardwh

I had 80 pounds in my 55 and it was an outstanding reef tank with plenty of swim room, caves, swim through's, etc. But again, LR can be heavier or lighter than it looks.

flower

I had 80 pounds in my 55 and it was an outstanding reef tank with plenty of swim room, caves, swim through's, etc. But again, LR can be heavier or lighter than it looks.
Live rock is usually very porous and light weight. Half way up the back of the tank is all that's needed, regardless of any tanks size. You just don't need a pile of rocks like that. A 55g tank is narrow and very small to begin with. It's only 12 inches wide, so take a ruler and put a rock next to it.... imagine the space remaining....

bang guy

Use the rule of threes to stack it. If you have three and only three points of contact when laying down a rock it will be very stable and even able to shift a bit and still be very stable.

This isn't always possible so epoxy can help or drill holes and connect rocks with fiberglass rods.

flower

Everyone has their own way... I have never had to epoxy rock unless I was making a fake rock wall. Bang Guy uses a '3 point method" he has mentioned it a few times. I just can't bring myself to build on shifting sand, even the Bible says not to do it....(Matt 7) LOL. So I still say build the rock from the bare bottom, and push the sand around the rock.

I twist and turn the rock into each other...I can feel it lock into place, it isn't going to move. I may have to lift and turn the rock a few times before I can get it to "lock" but I always managed to get my rock very stable.