Live sand question

mayb keeper

I'm considering a 55 gallon tank. My local fishstore employee (a 15 yr old kid) said I would be much better off buying regular sand and adding an additive. I've also read you can mix live and regular sand?
What is true and if I can mix, what is the least amount of live sand I could buy and get by?

acrylic51

You can buy dry sand or if you can get your hands on some Old Castle sand that will work as well, and you just need a cup of quality LS to seed it, and you'd be fine.......get 5-10lbs.....it doesn't take much, but patience.

maxalmon

There are basically 2 types of sand, silica and calcium based. The way you tell the difference is if you take a handfull the sand and add some vinegar, the calcium based sand will kinda bubble and fizz while the silica based sand won't. Whitecastle is one of the few brands non-aquarium specific sand that's calcium based and perfectly fine to use in a tank, like acrylic mentioned, if you can find some just buy a cup or two of established sand from a local reefer or LFS and add to the tank.
You'll find some people who say that silica based sand will cause diatom problems, someone a while back mentioned there were several studies which disproved this theory.

Most people including myself will say that you should find a calcium based sand as it helps to buffer the pH.