Long Tip

rickd

My long Tip Anemone is upside down in the tank is this a bad thing or do they do that? :help:
My water is good ammonia is 0 Nitrate 0 Phosphate's 0 to.25 Nitites 0 PH is 8.1/ 8.2 calcium is 500/520 I have 440 watt vho lighting 2 Actinic white and 2 super Actinic the tank is 55 gal about 3 months old with 70lb of LR and 90LB of LS.
Thanks
Rick

rickd

My long Tip Anemone is upside down in the tank is this a bad thing or do they do that? :help:
My water is good ammonia is 0 Nitrate 0 Phosphate's 0 to.25 Nitites 0 PH is 8.1/ 8.2 calcium is 500/520 I have 440 watt vho lighting 2 Actinic white and 2 super Actinic the tank is 55 gal about 3 months old with 70lb of LR and 90LB of LS.
BTW i have had it for about 4 days the frist day it footed and ever since then it been laying on its side.
Thanks
Rick
Sorry about the double post

rickd

Ok so turned him over and hes opening up again here is the picture of him let me know what you think anyone

T

thomas712

The first two weeks is an adjustment for any anemone. In this period or even longer it may wander about the tank looking for proper water flow and a place to locate its foot, which in this case is normally the substrate, many times near your rock placement.
I wonder if your calcium is at or over 500 then what is the alkalinity? I would check it if I were you. Also your pH ave.
Your tank is still very young and still maturing. Still too soon IMO for an anemone. 6 months to a year is closer to the mark before adding a hard to keep creature like an anemone. Your LTA prefers a sand substrate but may for a time seem to stick to the rocks until it feels the substrate is ready. Its really up to the anemone.
Being upside down isn't usually a good thing, but yours seems to have remmidied that already.
What color would you describe your anemone is? I have the feeling that your pic isn't showing the true color. I hope its not white.
Anything else?
Thomas

rickd

Thomas,
Thanks soo much i wasnt going to get one yet but the LFS said it would be ok today its really looking bad it not white all the way but it looks like its turning white here is the picture of him today. i checked the alk is some where between 180 to 200 im using the dip sticks and the PH is 8.0/ 8.1 I think i might try to take him back to the LFS If he will take him back.

rickd

BTW is his mouth suppose to like that it semes to be swolen up me i wish i would have waited!!! :scared:

booduh

Well your LTA is bleaching and the mouth is a sign of stress. Like Thomas said, there is a period of adjusting to a new tank, if the anenome is deflating and inflating again on a regular cycle that is normal. What is not normal is if it stays deflated for long periods of time or never fully inflates. The good news is it has firmly attached and found a spot in the tank. Weak or injured anenomes will have difficulties attaching to rocks. Never allow an anenome to sit upside down in the sand, they eat, breathe and expell waste through their mouths.
I would give it time, recovering anenomes take months to heal to normal. Your lighting is your best ally. With good lighting the color will slowly return. Also after bringing it home for a couple of days what did you feed it? I suggest small pieces of a chopped silverside. If it does not grab the food on the first try, try again two days later. And only feed 2-3 days for the first month after that, once a week. Only one silverside, if overfed an anenome simply expells the undigested food, waste and that will contaminate water if not removed. Also, your tank is young, constantly check your water parameters.

rickd

booduh
Thanks i tried to give it some silver side yesterday and it wouldnt eat it should i keep tring to feed it? i will try again later. my fish seem too be stressing now im hoping im not stresing them with a sick Anemone Thanks for all the help.

J

jacob_poly

As Thomas said, check the alkalinity. Also what kind of water do you use? RO I hope.....

T

thomas712

Personally I don't trust the test strips. Do yourself a favor and have the LFS check alk and calc preferably using salifert test kits, or get them yourself.
Also try other foods like mysis shrimp or frozen plankton, just thaw it out and use a clean tank dedicated turkey baster to gently squirt some into the tenticals. If he is moving around or simply trying to get a foothold then he might not be recieving food at the moment, but I would continue to try to feed him until he accepts something.
Its always hard to determine if the mouth is swollen due to stress or just something normal that the anemone is doing. Sometimes the tissue around the mouth could bubble and extend alarmingly, this might suggest that the pH isn't quite right or is having massive swings. I've seen that problem before..
What is your current photo period?
When was your last water change?

rickd

Thomas712
Thanks for all your help it died last nite i woke up this morning and it was the size of a 50 cent piece just a little ball not open or moving the foot was gone not sure where. poor guy i really wanted him to make it. i also have a frogspawn in there thats doing great.
I did a water change on friday. witch was 3 days after i got him could that have done it? i have a 55 gal and did a 10 gal water change i think is about 20 percent the water matched in temp and SG so nothing wrong there i dont think. Again Thanks for all your help and no more Anemones for me for a while......

J

jacob_poly

sorry about your loss. I did start having doubts when I saw how wide its mouth was open in the last few pics that you had posted. I am a little surprised that hte decline has been that fast though.

kaotik

research first...then purchase!!!
not the other way around!!

(not directed at anyone, just a general comment)

judyab

sorry but are you sure it's dead? i had one that stayed the size of a quarter for about a year(no lie) , got M.H. you wouldn't believe it if you saw it or should i say them now. i would show you a pic but don't know how.