Looking for opinions

acrylic51

Looking for opinions, because I can't make up my mind....I'm going to be building a work table/stand, that will serve double duty in my fishroom.....The table/stand will hold my quarantine tank and my frag tank, and will also be a good area to perform water tests and such. The work table/stand will have storage area underneath to hold my WC vat and other misc. stuff.
With that being said a friend of mine has extra counter tops from a previous job, but I can't decide if I like the color or go with my first choice of doing black counter tops. My issue really arises since the counter tops he's offered me are free vs me paying for what I truely really want.
What would you guys pick? Black countertops or the ones pictured below??????? Need your input

gill again68

Either one of the tops below will look better than the black over time. I use to build cabinets and work with formica and the one thing I can tell you is your gonna scratch it. Any solid color will look bad over time after the scratches show up so I would stay away from the solid colors. My personal choice of the 2 you have there is the one with the wheels. Thats my buck .05.

2quills

I like black but you can't beat free. It's not like they're going into the kitchen or anything and besides, for formica those look pretty descent. But if you still like the black and want to do it for cheaper, it's alot easier buy a sheet or two of the stuff that you like and make your own table top than most people think. All you need is some contact cement, a couple of cheap disposable brushes and a rotary tool with a flush trim bit.

2quills

Are picture 1 and picture 2 not the same thing? Are my eyes playing tricks on me again?

acrylic51

2Quills yes same piece of counter top. I Have made my own tops beforeI'll have to post a pic of my work bench I don't work on. By the time you buy the MDF and contact cement and Formica and you add in your time, you come out about even, so I see no real savings piecing it together.

btldreef

I agree that black looks great, but over time, it turns to garbage. You'll be disappointed. I have a black stand, table for my 14G and it looked great for the first few months, now it's scratched and has salt stains on it, it just looks terrible. Even my darker cherry stand looked terrible over time. The marbalized look is going to be better, it'll hold up much better to the wear and tear. I think those tops would be fine with maybe just black cabnetry?

acrylic51

I'm just torn.....I have plans once the drywall work is done in my fishroom to epoxy the concrete floor a dark blue, and trying to save money were I can on certain areas. The counter tops being 1 area.