low calcium

falcon63

im trying to get my calcium up is low 240 . i use kent liquid calcium . iv tryed araqamilk but it kills my ph. what do ya all think

dsboyd

do you dose kalk? I would recommend dosing kalk at night to increase Calcium levels. the increase in PH will be offset by the nightly drop in PH.

q

Using kalk and two part additives is really hard to raise any levels. They are good for maintaining them though.
I would try a more concentrated from of calcium like Kent's turbo calcium. Even using a normal liquid I find it can take a lot of doses to get it done. You do want to go slowly though as not to rapidly change the water chemistry.
Raise your Ca then bring back up your alk to normal ranges. If your alk is high it can push down the Ca so check that first.
Hope this helps

nm reef

Actually I don't believe kalk will do much to raise calcium levels...it is very good at maintaining them though....I use seachem reef builder to establish alkalinity and seachem reef advantage to raise calcium levels...I also top-off nightly with kalk to maintain these levels at calcium-450 ppm...alkalinity - 2.8-3.5 meg/l
Others have had success with different additives...all I've ever used is the seachem products...and they have work very well...easy to use and effective...the important thing is to raise the levels to the desired range then maintain them at that range consistently.

tankstolove

All those additives give me a head ache and to much effort in my opinion.
I use a calcium reactor. It raises the calcium rapidly and also buffs ph to 8.0 to 8.3 given daily fluctuations. I supplement with kalk and have never had a proble since in this very important area. Overlooked by many professional aquariust, though the trend is agian changing and this equipment is now becoming very affordable.

bammbamm74

I had the same problem. I raised my alk first to 4.0 to 4.3 meq/l using Kents Ph Buffer (it buffs the alk then the ph comes up with it). Then I used Kent's Turbo Calcium which is really the same stuff as the liquid calcium, just not diluted. I couldn't get mine over 250. I got some Kent's Tech-M magnesium and dosed it per the non-testing dosing. My calcium came right up. Now I keep it at about 420ppm. I drop in a Sea-Lab 28 once every couple of weeks and dose essential elements once a week. Helped me out good.