Low lighting Corals?

I was wondering if there are any corals out there that don't require that much lighting to survive. I have a powerhead so I have the water movement, but I'm looking for any corals that can survive on NO lighting?

C

channah

Well, I just got into the whole reef thing, but I did upgrade my lighting. as far as NO light, I'm not sure. Mushrooms and polyps are what were recommended to me. From what I understand, you will just have to feed them more with the suplements. Hope this helped.

ophiura

IMO, these can be kept on NO lights, but having both a bright white (eg 10,000K) and an actinic blue is the minimum.

uvmfish

As you can see in my sig, I have several mushrooms and some polyps and only NO lights. I bought two strip lights that hold 2 40watt bulbs each and built a hood to fit them in. Total cost with bulbs was about $70. I have had the corals for about 3- 5 months now and they are doing great! The Blue shrooms have multiplied greatly! I'm sure that more lighting is better, but on a shoestring budget it is possible to start a reef!

iechy

There are also certain corals such as sun polyps which require no light at all but because of this require feeding. You may look into these types of corals as well. Sun polyps can be really nice looking and since most people feed their corals anyway it's not a problem to keep them fed.