LS on top of CC??

jthomas0385

Is it possible to add live sand on top of crushed coral? This might sound like a dumb question, but I thought maybe I'd ask..Thanks!

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by JThomas0385
Is it possible to add live sand on top of crushed coral? This might sound like a dumb question, but I thought maybe I'd ask..Thanks!
Some people go that route,, why not.. I wish you went with the live sand though,, such an upgrade on your biological filtration, then having all of that crud build up in the cc..

yosemite sam

How much cc and ls? It's better just to get the cc out. Unless it's a lot, the live sand will eventually settle through the cc since it is smaller, and most of the cc will still be on the surface.

jthomas0385

I think I have 15 pounds of CC. So should I use 20 LBS of LS? (20 gallon tank) If I decide to go this route that is..

miaheatlvr

Go with the LS if you have a choice,,, I dont now the exact amount, but you want 11/2 -2" inches of LS for Shallow sand bed and 2-31/2' for a Deep sand bed.

sepulatian

I would NOT add sand on top of the CC. Slowly take the cc out if you want to switch over. Take a cup full out, without disturbing the cc too much, every few days. If you disturb the CC too much you will release the nitrates that are, most likely, trapped in the crevaces. If you add the sand on top of the CC then you will not be able to vacume the cc and the nitrates will become uncontrollable.

meathead

When I started my tank, I had 30 lbs of CC on the bottom and about 60 lbs of live sand on top (75 gal tank).
Within a couple of months, the CC was on top......just in time for algae bloom. The CC got stained and the LS/CC mix looked horrible.
I recently tried the "white live sand". Looks like very fine white sand. Just my experience, but it seemed to grow algae quick.

renogaw

i agree, do not mix substrates.
the sand is going to sink to the bottom, and the CC to the top. CC needs to be syphoned to keep clean. the sand will get sucked up when you do this. CC also will prevent any creatures that do sand maintenance from doing their job.

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
Some people go that route,, why not.. I wish you went with the live sand though,, such an upgrade on your biological filtration, then having all of that crud build up in the cc..
This is MY BAD, I ha a brain fart and thought you wanted to put LIVE ROCK on top of CC.. not LS.... DO NOT MIX THE TWO...

renogaw

ehh, the 2-3-1/2" isn't a DSb either, its a dangerous zone because it is neither shallow nor deep.
sand beds should either be less than an inch or more than 4

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by renogaw
ehh, the 2-3-1/2" isn't a DSb either, its a dangerous zone because it is neither shallow nor deep.
sand beds should either be less than an inch or more than 4
EHH!! Go to this link on about.com, there are discrepancy's on what the actual SSB and DSB's, there is NO finite answer but we have ballpark figures according to them.. I knew that.. its all relative. They say DSB up to 5" and shallow about 13/4' to 2".
http://saltaquarium.about.com/librar...discussion.htm