Macna Xxi

scsinet

Sorry, I was trying not to sound too negative because I don't want to quell anyone's excitement.
Okay well to start my day off back in September when Macna was here, about 20 minutes before myself and a buddy were about to head out, my dog gets run over by the UPS truck in front of my house and nearly dies. We rush her to the vet, then to an animal hospital where we were told she would almost certainly recover, but needed at least 3 surgeries. There went every dime I had saved for MACNA, 4 times over.
So I go anyway, thought it would be best to get my head someplace else. Of course, I must admit that none of this is MACNA's fault (though if I hadn't been going that day, the dog never would have gotten hit...
)
Anyhow, I found it to first and foremost very small. Some of the big vendors I wanted to see didn't even show up, though they were listed as being there. Marine Depot didn't show, and a lot of the local vendors didn't show. MACNA wouldn't give us this information until AFTER we paid for the tickets.
2Docs was there, who I looked forward to because of their livestock selection, but they had just ONE 15 gallon tank set up, of which nothing was for sale. The reps from the company apparently wanted to chat more amongst themselves than pay any attention to me or anyone else attending the show.
Deltec was there, and I was looking forward to talking to them since I own a Deltec skimmer, but again, I got completely ignored there also.
There was a vendor there that I was REALLY looking forward to seeing because they sold the GHL/Profilux controllers. However, they also sell rare zoas, so they were so busy getting frags for people they wouldn't even talk to me. All I got was a "Oh, I don't know anything about that unit" when I found someone to ask, and when I asked if they had any at the show, in spite of the fact that they told me the prior week that they would have some there, he said they did not. Nice.
I guess I was looking forward to a trade show where I would get to meet the vendors who I have worked with for years, but either they weren't there or I got ignored, and those who were there were too busy selling crappy frags to pay any attention (read: ignored).
Now, that all said, I walked out of there with a few really nice, really rare frags that I got for some really good prices. You can also score equipment dirt cheap because a lot of the vendors would rather sell it at a loss than pay to ship it back home, so go on the first day, bring cash, and put down offers on stuff, but you won't be able to pick it up until after the show is over on the last day. I found that out the hard way by going on day 2, most everything had already been spoken for, but I wasn't really looking for anything anyway. I didn't take part in the raffles.
Would I go again? Absolutely, but I would never drive more than a few hours to get there, and I certainly wouldn't have the expectations I did before.
PS: SWF.com wasn't there, which is too bad, but they never said they were GOING to be there so it wasn't like they did anything wrong.

truperc

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/3120307
Okay well to start my day off back in September when Macna was here, about 20 minutes before myself and a buddy were about to head out, my dog gets run over by the UPS truck in front of my house and nearly dies.
I am certainly sorry to hear about your dog.
I have never been to MACNA, so I cannot claim an experience.
I like the idea of work shops on the trade floor demonstrating, over workshops that only show a power point.
I was basically told that if you go on Friday you can get some of the best pieces, and if you go on Sunday you can get some nice deals.
Saturday is apparently the day it is most crowded.
Given you have to be there the day of the raffle to win, it is nice that it will have raffles every day.
I am definitely going, and the lineup of speakers is certainly top notch.
I will be interested to see if this years is better then your experience.
Only time will tell on that one.

truperc

FWIW - MACNA exceeded my expectations.
The vendors were very accessible, the workshops and talks were great, and they had some incredible corals there.
Was definitely happy I went.
Not sure how many others went, but I would be interested to hear their experience, which of course may differ from mine.

J

jetskiking

I didn't get to go this year
but next year I will be there. I will say I had a different expierience at XX than SCSI net. Part of that could be because I was local and worked at it. I got to spend a lot of alone time having converstions with prominent members of the reefing community. I could totally see his perspective though and the place was a mad house LOL.

scsinet

Originally Posted by jetskiking
http:///forum/post/3145235
Already done. I cant miss orlando. Its only 8 hrs away and I have a place to stay

See now this, I'll go to. I can easily drag my wife along, she'll drive 8 hours to ride Pirates of the Carribean.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by TruPerc
http:///forum/post/3145214
The vendors were very accessible, the workshops and talks were great, and they had some incredible corals there.
Not sure how many others went, but I would be interested to hear their experience, which of course may differ from mine.
I'm more interested in fish then corals, were fish commonly available to purchase as well, or is it just really frags? I've seen pics from XX, and it seemed like there were a decent amount of fish there in bare tanks, ready to be sold it seemed.
But with Cali being the major incoming hub and nearly every major company having a department there, it makes sense. Not sure how many would travel to Orlando with fish....

aquaknight

Originally Posted by TruPerc
http:///forum/post/3145214
I'm more interested in fish then corals, were fish commonly available to purchase as well, or is it just really frags? I've seen pics from XXI, and it seemed like there were a decent amount of fish there in bare tanks, ready to be sold it seemed.

truperc

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3145311
I'm more interested in fish then corals, were fish commonly available to purchase as well, or is it just really frags? I've seen pics from XXI, and it seemed like there were a decent amount of fish there in bare tanks, ready to be sold it seemed.
I would say that corals were about 85-90% of the livestock.
frags and colonies.
Fish made up remaining.

the fish they had were nice tangs pretty much... and some clowns and i believe dotties.. at the end you could ask people to see waht they had swimming in their coral tanks... banggai cardinals, giant clowns, tons of diff fish.. i got 2 clowns and a blue hippo tang... for i think 35 bucks total...
I thought it was amazing.... coral was actually pretty decent there were a couple good dealers...Some people were terrible you could smeell the coral poison and stress.. there was one whose acan were actually moving with the current...
good show.. good speakers
thought water was bad, most corals werent happy...
overall worth it...

cranberry

There's very rarely fish for sale at these things. They all don't sell them, but just have them on display for the most part. Some vendors do however like David who sells CB. I forget what his official booth/business name is... he's David :)
I wasn't able to go to this one because of my dog having cancer and being in the last stages. I know it's a disappointment, but these booths are booked a year in advance and sometimes we have no idea what will happen over the year.... or just before the show.
Does anyone have a picture of the Phyto2 booth?

J

jetskiking

Originally Posted by Marchingbandjs
http:///forum/post/3145407
the fish they had were nice tangs pretty much... and some clowns and i believe dotties.. at the end you could ask people to see waht they had swimming in their coral tanks... banggai cardinals, giant clowns, tons of diff fish.. i got 2 clowns and a blue hippo tang... for i think 35 bucks total...
I thought it was amazing.... coral was actually pretty decent there were a couple good dealers...Some people were terrible you could smeell the coral poison and stress.. there was one whose acan were actually moving with the current...
good show.. good speakers
thought water was bad, most corals werent happy...
overall worth it...
That seams to get brought up every macna. I think it has more to do with shipping corals from all over the country then throwing them in newly set up tanks. Nothing has a chance to settle in. How did they do the water this year?