macro-algae and phosphates

1911_guy

I read in the archives that phosphates build up in LR, sand and algae. My only concern is chaetomorpha macro-algae. When it turns from thin bright green "spaghetti noodles" to thick dark, even black...is it time to remove it from the system? I was thinking that might help remove some phosphates so it will take longer for them to build up, deferring the inevitable....crash.

chipmaker

I keep a batch of chaeto in a QT where there is no nutreints for it. YOu can see it lighten up over time, so what I do is periodically thin out the chaeto in my fuges, and throw the harvested chaeto into the QT tank, or another tank that is unused. I do swap out chaeto from the QT or unused tank with chaeto in the fuge from time to time, but normally have never found that dark green or black looking chaeto was any less effective in removing nitrates. As it gets more and more nitrate nurishment it simply propagates into more chaeto. I have also found that it does the chaeto no harm to rinse it under fresh rodi water or even reg tap water, to rid it of debri etc that accumulates in it. Yes it may kill any pods or mini dusters but its the chaeto thatI am wanting anyhow so what little other critters die off is no big deal. I use chaeto in the hob fuges made out of AC10 / 500 filts and they always collect a lot of debri in the chaeto, so its nice to be able to rinse it nice and clean periodically just like clenaing a filter pad with fresh water, shake it dry, and throw in QT or back in fuge. Do not keep light on the chaeto any longer than perhaps 10-12 hours a day. You will find it does need a rest period like anyhtng else requires, and 10 or even 8 hours a day is sufficient with 12 hours being about the max to give it. My cheato just about doubles in size every 3 to 4 weeks or so.

1911_guy

What do you mean by harvested? I think I'll take some out of my fuge and put it in my QT to see what happens. Thanks
I think I may be giving it too much light. I've left the light on over the chaeto for 2 days on a few occasions. Thanks

michaeltx

harvesting means to take some out so it doesnt stop growing algaes only grow so big and then slow way down effectively stopping the absorbtion of the nutrients. harvesting is making it much less and it will start growing again absorbing the nuitrents again. some macros like grape will get so big then go sexual releaseing everything back into the water not sure if the cheato does this or not.
after harvest you can give it away to other hobbiests and all..
mike

1911_guy

Ok, thanks for clarifying. I don't think chaeto goes sexual but I will definitely pull some out and put it in my QT.
If it is full of nitrates and I harvest it, giving it away or whatever won't it still be full of nitrates? If so, won't it have the potential to release in another system?

michaeltx

yes and NO LOL
it will only release back into the system once it has grown as much as it can. If you harvest it you keep it small it wont..
Think of it as your grass in the yard. once the grass grows so tall it will through out seed heads but as long as you keep it mowed then it will put all its energy in feeding and growing to get to the stage of throwing off seeds.
Mike

chipmaker

If you harvest chaeto thats been growing just fine , and place it in say a QT tank that is free of nutreints or low in nutrients, it will consume what it has and more or less not grow or thrive, but it still will not die off. As long as yuy continue to harvest (thin out) chaeto it will keep on growing and consuming nitrates. It does not go asexual like the other macro algaes do.....and if any gets inthe display tank its not gonna run rampant and take over and become a problem either.

1911_guy

I have taken about 3/4 of it out of the fuge and put it in my QT. Last week I put a small ball of it in the Display tank hoping my tang would eat it....none of my fish will touch it.