Macro Algae in the DT!!!!

Ok it has been awhile since i have posted about this. I have been battling macro algae in my DT. I have done several things to try to fix this problem. I have added a refugium, I got a better skimmer, added a emerald crab, i have picked and picked at it. I have shortened my light time. I started feeding every other day. I can not add a tang because i have to small of a tank. Is there anything else?

9supratt4

Yikes!! Did the caulerpa go sexual and that's how it made it into your tank??
You may want to PM Florida Joe.....he knows caulerpa well.

S

saxman

the macro in the first pic is C. racemosa var. peltata AKA suction cup Caulerpa. this macro is a variant of C. racemosa (green grape Caulerpa), and is very invasive.
the second pic appears to be C. prolifera
(i'm referring to the the long blade-looking macro). generally not super invasive.
if your tank is large enough, a foxface will mow the stuff down. manual removal will work, but you need to get the rhizomes off of the rock and stay at it. make sure you freeze the clippings for 24 hours prior to disposal to kill the stuff.

cranberry

Originally Posted by Bountyhunter23
http:///forum/post/3204088
Thats what i have been doing. But it manages to stay in the rocks.
That's why it's called an invasive macro and is actually illegal in some states. Try a big turbo snail or urchin.

spanko

I have a 29 biocube. It had a caulerpa outbreak. I went through I think 5 foxface before I got it under control. I would buy them at 1.5" or so and turn them in at about 3" or so for store credit.

florida joe

is it confined to that one rock. Caulerpa is not something that just turns up. We in fact have to go out of our way to find it and import it. can you post some clearer pictures

cranberry

It frequently hitchhikes in on rocks now-a-days, Joe, because it's "recycled" rock. The LFS's are full of rocks that have come from hobbyists tanks being broken down. There's no doubt that's different varieties of caulerpa. And with a variety like that, there's no doubt it spent time in someone else's tank.

florida joe

There are a few types of caulerpa that have grape like branchlets.Can you describe the base of what you have looks like
the second pic appears to be C. prolifera (i'm referring to the the long blade-looking macro). generally not super invasive.
A better picture is needed there are other types of caulerpa that have that blade look.
It frequently hitchhikes in on rocks now-a-days, Joe, because it's "recycled" rock. The LFS's are full of rocks that have come from hobbyists tanks being broken down.
Sorry i just don't see that happening, I have yet to see a LFS that has live rock for sale that has caulerpa growing on it. In fact if it did the LFS would hold it and grow it and sell the caulerpa and not the rock. Caulerpa is not that easy to come by.

cranberry

It's everywhere here Joe. That's how I just got 3 different types myself.
Around here they aren't allowed to sell it.

cranberry

We were picking around in the LR bin looking for rock and saw one with some fronds on there so we bought that piece.

florida joe

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3204587
We were picking around in the LR bin looking for rock and saw one with some fronds on there so we bought that piece.

That's why it's called an invasive macro and is actually illegal in some states.
Not all invasive algae is bad and not all caulerpa is illegal in every state
So it was not that prevalent you had to search for it. I am not saying that you can not buy LR and have it come along as an uninvited Guest. I am saying it is unlikely to happen.
But getting back to the OPs situation if it is contained on that one rock. He can sacrifice what is on and in the rock. Freeze it to kill the caulerpa. Sterilize the rock in bleach and reintroduce it into his tank