Made the leap!

eric b 125

I just went through my first experience with green hair algae. It was a nightmare, especially because I also had dino's to fight. Traditionally, I like to tackle problems like this naturally, but I was so frustrated and short on time that I tried this stuff from API called Algaefix marine. Worked like a charm and didn't have any negative effects on corals, inverts, or fish.

reefkeeperZ

I'm not a fan of algaecides, yes they kill algae but the problem is, they kill algae. including any phytoplanktonic style algae which is food for a lot of our critters (micro fauna etc.) as well as the stuff we want gone so the damage tends to be unseen. In the long run it may even be negligible but I don't like to risk that "What did i kill that I can't see". But of course if we remove the problem but not the cause it will just come back eventually.

the hardest part of algae problems tends the be the rock/sand which the algae grows on, it has a high CEC capacity (cation exchange capacity) Which is the ability to absorb and release nutrients easily so when nutrients are available the rock soaks them up like a sponge, and when nutrient levels drop the rock then easily surrenders them to the algae. so even once you get your water clean the nutrients are still freely availble to the algae from the rock until it is depleted. so these nutrients are not just near the rock or sand but IN it.