Mag 700 Users

mongoose

I have a Mag 700 right now going through a SCWD and I'm useing 1/2' PVC. My question is that I'm going to setup another 700 to run the fuge on my new tank, is thier anyone out thier who is running one with 3/4' PVC? If so how is the pressure coming out of the pipes. Would it make some pretty good movement in a 65G? I'm just wondering if I'm restricting my current pump by useing 1/2...and if I goto 3/4 if it would blow about the same but with more GPH.
Any Help is Appreciated

squidd

Originally posted by Mongoose
I'm just wondering if I'm restricting my current pump by useing 1/2...and if I goto 3/4 if it would blow about the same but with more GPH.
Any Help is Appreciated

That's exactly what would happen...
You may not notice much difference in "pressure" (how "hard" it's blowing out the outlet) but you would be moving a significantly larger "volume" of water...
And that larger volume of water brings with it a larger volume of oxygen as well as moving a larger volume through your filtration/sump/skimmer/etc...
Having a "small" amount of water "blasting" out an outlet is not as benificial as a larger volume of water "turning over' in your tank...
Not to mention using your Mag to it's best efficiency...

golfish

I don't know about the Mag 7 but they (the owners manual) say that for optimal flow you should use 1.5" pipe for the Mag 12's, even tho they come with 3/4" fittings :confused: