Majestic Angel with Regal Angel

mx#28

Has anyone ever kept a Majestic Angel (Pomacanthus navarchus) with a Regal Angel (Pygopllites diacnthus)?
I'd be interested to see stroies of success or failure, including any info about what the tank size was, the availability of hiding spots, and the feeding frequency, etc.

pastor b.

Dear hobbyist , most large angelfish will not get along . They're
territorial . But, if you have a very large aquarium ,and introduce them at the same time as juveniles,it can work . Majestic angels are shy when first introduced .they like to eat mysis shrimp and spiralina. Be sure that it eats before you buy it though . M A's can be slow at accepting food . I have tried 3 times to keep a M A alive ,and each time I had a loss
. Also,Yellow tangs don't get along with M A's ,that was my 1st mistake .The others I lost due to starvation . Since then ,I brought a queen angel fish ,and I'm enjoying the morphing from juvenile to adult .

mx#28

Originally Posted by Pastor B.
Dear hobbyist , most large angelfish will not get along . They're
territorial . But, if you have a very large aquarium ,and introduce them at the same time as juveniles,it can work . Majestic angels are shy when first introduced .they like to eat mysis shrimp and spiralina. Be sure that it eats before you buy it though . M A's can be slow at accepting food . I have tried 3 times to keep a M A alive ,and each time I had a loss
. Also,Yellow tangs don't get along with M A's ,that was my 1st mistake .The others I lost due to starvation . Since then ,I brought a queen angel fish ,and I'm enjoying the morphing from juvenile to adult .

Thanks. I understand their care requirements and the general issues between angelfish. I'm just curious to hear any first hand experiences with these particular two. They are from a different genus and are some of the less aggressive large angels, so I'm hoping to hear some info from those who may have tried it.

rylan1

Alot of people keep angels together..you just have to have a large tank. 200g or so ..give or take 25 g. Look under agressive fish thread ..you'll probably have better luck with pics and stories.

mondavi

Tank size is a huge factor in having more than one angel. I have eight angels in my display tank though it is a 385gallon.
Been awhile since I added any fish. When I did I always added two and changed the rock work around in the tank. Mixing the same species of angles though is almost always a death wish to one of the fish. I once put a Majestic in with my Blueface. Poor majestic.
I see no reason a M A and a Regal should not be ok with each other. Both are normally passive.

mx#28

Originally Posted by Mondavi
Tank size is a huge factor in having more than one angel. I have eight angels in my display tank though it is a 385gallon.
Been awhile since I added any fish. When I did I always added two and changed the rock work around in the tank. Mixing the same species of angles though is almost always a death wish to one of the fish. I once put a Majestic in with my Blueface. Poor majestic.
I see no reason a M A and a Regal should not be ok with each other. Both are normally passive.
Thanks for sharing your experiences, Mondavi. I agree, the Majestic and the Regal are the wimps of the larger angels. Which 8 angelfish species to you have? I'd love to see some photos!
I'm still hoping to hear from someone who's kept these two together. Anyone?

mondavi

Guess I have 7 thought it was eight. Have other fish besides angles as well though.
My Angles are Regal-Blueline-Blueface-Chrysurus-Goldflake-Scribbled and a Personifer. The Chrysurus is my biggest angle and also king of the tank. However it is the most shy of my fish. My blueline and scribbled do get into at times though. The goldflake is the most outgoing of all my fish. It will come up and eat out of my hand.
I have never had the combo you want but a friend of mine does. The regal is super shy and always hides when anyone is near. How big is the tank you are going to have?
Somone is coming to clean my tank next week. I will get some pics of the tank then.

mx#28

Originally Posted by Mondavi
Guess I have 7 thought it was eight. Have other fish besides angles as well though.
My Angles are Regal-Blueline-Blueface-Chrysurus-Goldflake-Scribbled and a Personifer. The Chrysurus is my biggest angle and also king of the tank. However it is the most shy of my fish. My blueline and scribbled do get into at times though. The goldflake is the most outgoing of all my fish. It will come up and eat out of my hand.
I have never had the combo you want but a friend of mine does. The regal is super shy and always hides when anyone is near. How big is the tank you are going to have?
Somone is coming to clean my tank next week. I will get some pics of the tank then.
Thanks again, Mondavi. What size tank does your friend have? My current FO tank is about 165 gallons which is likely on the borderline for two larger angels. I'd be curious to hear a little about his setup, feeding habits, etc, too.

lesleybird

Hi, I have a 6 foot by 2 foot by 26" high tank....about 200 gallons. I have a Majestic, a Scribbled and just added a Regal. They are getting along fine. The Majestic was in there first and is 4 and a half inches, could not find a Scribbled to put them in at the same time. The Scribbled came a month later and he is 3 and a half inches. The Majestic chased him a little for the first week and now they get along well as the smaller Scribbled let the Majestic be the boss of the tank. Have had them together for a few months. Two days ago I got a red sea Regal and it was suppose to be in the 4 to 5 inch range and this fish shows up that is nearly 7 inches. The other angels leave it alone. It has been two days and I am waiting for him to eat. They say a lot of them fast for a few days in a new environment, and a lot of them may never eat...esp. the big ones. Only time will tell.
I also had a Goldflake angel in with the Majestic that was about 5 inches and they got along fine until he died from intestinal worms that he had signs of from the beginning.
Majestics are hardy if you get a healthy one that is eating from the beginning. I have had two and both lived through ich and one even survived a mini cycle with a nitrite spike when the tank was new and I was on vacation. If you are buying an angelfish from a store do not buy it until you see it eat. I would not try to mix angels in less than a 180 gallon and only from different species of angels as mine are. I would not try to mix a Majestic with a Blueface for example. They also say to either add your angels at the same time or to add the smaller, less agressive ones first and the larger or more agressive last. I also have a Potter's pygme angel and they don't bother it. Good luck, Lesley

mx#28

Originally Posted by Lesleybird
Hi, I have a 6 foot by 2 foot by 26" high tank....about 200 gallons. I have a Majestic, a Scribbled and just added a Regal. They are getting along fine. The Majestic was in there first and is 4 and a half inches, could not find a Scribbled to put them in at the same time. The Scribbled came a month later and he is 3 and a half inches. The Majestic chased him a little for the first week and now they get along well as the smaller Scribbled let the Majestic be the boss of the tank. Have had them together for a few months. Two days ago I got a red sea Regal and it was suppose to be in the 4 to 5 inch range and this fish shows up that is nearly 7 inches. The other angels leave it alone. It has been two days and I am waiting for him to eat. They say a lot of them fast for a few days in a new environment, and a lot of them may never eat...esp. the big ones. Only time will tell.
I also had a Goldflake angel in with the Majestic that was about 5 inches and they got along fine until he died from intestinal worms that he had signs of from the beginning.
Majestics are hardy if you get a healthy one that is eating from the beginning. I have had two and both lived through ich and one even survived a mini cycle with a nitrite spike when the tank was new and I was on vacation. If you are buying an angelfish from a store do not buy it until you see it eat. I would not try to mix angels in less than a 180 gallon and only from different species of angels as mine are. I would not try to mix a Majestic with a Blueface for example. They also say to either add your angels at the same time or to add the smaller, less agressive ones first and the larger or more agressive last. I also have a Potter's pygme angel and they don't bother it. Good luck, Lesley
Many thanks for posting, Lesley - that's very helpful info. My tank is about 6.5' x 26" x 19" which is really pretty similar to yours, just a little thinner. I'm not jumping in quite yet, but it looks like there is hope!
Good luck getting your regal to eat. Have you tried live brine or small feeder guppies? I've had lots of luck with both for hard to convince fish.

lesleybird

Won't eat live brine yet, but at least he came fat. I think he may have been on a sponge only diet in the wild. Maybe if he gets hungry enough he will learn what to eat from the other angels. The Scribbled learned to eat partially from watching my Majestic. I love the Scribbled as they are gentle natured (at least mine is), and this fish comes up to the glass when I put my face there and would even eat out of my hands from about two weeks on in the tank. The Goldflake angels are really non-agressive too and not too shy but expensive. The Majestic is a good fish but a little shy. The Regals tend to be shy fish. Lesley