Major Tank Crash - Need help ASAP Please!

pyro

I am at PSU, and my dad has just called to inform me that my 6-line and my orange finned tang has died in about the past 2 hours. My clown and blenny are breathing hard on the sand bed. Corals still look ok.
Took some levels - saltwater is at 1.025-6 - little high, but normally is at 1.025 anyways.
Nitrogen is all at zero including ammonia
No temperature swings
I just started using pre-made saltwater from a pet store, is it possible the water could have been bad? All levels are good and I don't know what it could be. My dad is doing a 5-10g water change as we speak.
Thanks.

pyro

My dad has just called an told me one of my powerheads burnt up he found. I'm assuming that is the problem. It is a rio and I have always cleaned it monthly.
He is going to stop by tomorrow and get a lot of saltwater and do changes.
Is there anything I can do? Contact Rio?

92protruck

sorry for your loss. do you think the bad powerhead was leaking electricity into the tank or was it the lack of water movement/oxygen? One powerhead failure should not cause an issue. Do you have enough powerheads in the tank? Plenty of flow? If oxygen is the issue maybe add an airstone temporarily. Maybe check for stray voltage with a multimeter and add a grounding probe if stray electricity maybe an issue. Go with Maxi-Jets and skip the Rio's.

L

lpuzon

wow! lucky you have your dad to do those things that u were supposed to be doing! ENVY!!!! heheheheh

jake21ld

I had the same problem about 6 months ago...I had went to a new type of filtration and experimented with a new type of engineered bacteria...to make a long story short...the bacteria was consuming most of the oxygen in the water...I immediately hooked up an air pump and got more micro bubbles in the water...within 20 min, my fish were fine....so maybe the powerhead was adding micro bubbles and when it burnt up there was a rapid decrease in dissolved oxygen...

reefreak29

im just thinking if your power head burnt up some melted plastic could have got into the water wich is very toxic