Making 75 aggressive

whitey_028

I have a 75 gallon tank with about 80 lbs of live rock. I was wondering what would go good with my lionfish and zebra eel. I was thinking trigger? butterfly?some type of tangs?I want to go for colorful fish as the 2 fish i already have arent very colorful they just look tough. What would be the suggetions. Lionfish is 3" and eel is about 18".

wanabebell

I personnally believe a volitan will get to big for a 75
but if you really want a trigger i would recomend a pink tail trigger
But a harlequin tusk would look very nice in a 75

dmitry

Yes, I've also been warned against Triggers and Lions. I wanted both, but was told to choose. Try a Dwarf Angel; a Flame Angel is very bright, beautiful and active.

jam1e

Triggers will eat the fins off of lions .. and I don't think that a volitan would be too big for your tank .. good luck

drewsta

Originally Posted by NEreef
triggers and lions don't mix.
I disagree it can work it is very possible. I have a V. Lion, SFE, Blue Line Trigger, and a Huma Huma. All are getting along great except at feeding time and my eel goes crazy and tries to eat my triggers
Other than that they are happy as can be and they have been together about 3 months now. Although I believe its hit or miss

v-lioness

A 75g is to small for a Volitan not only will it get large but they grow fast, which of course can lead to water quality issues .......
Triggers and lions can be hit and miss, Blue Throat are pretty docile well any of the Xanthichthys Species is considered docile when it comes to triggers........ Pinktails are a definite hit and miss, I have heard of Pinktails killing tanks of fish yet I keep one with my lions and have for a few years now. And with that said, I also have a large tank which can make a big difference when keeping this mix over time.
IMO - avoid a trigger and give your Volitan the space it needs, though it may be small now, if fed correctly it should reach around 15 inches in around 18 months.....
Kaye

doink1230

I have 3 triggers and a lion together for over a year and have not had a problem. I also recently added a 4 trigger to the tank (he fights with most of the other fish, but doesn't go near the lion). My lion is about 6-7 inches, and is the same size as the largest fish (the new trigger) in the tank. I'm currently setting up a new tank (fish only) for the newest trigger because he is just too much for the rest of the tankmates.

dragonzim

I had an 8 inch v-lion with a 2.5 inch humu and a 3 inch blue throat. Everything was great for well over a year then one day the triggers snapped and ripped apart the lion. That being said, I firmly believe that lions and triggers DO NOT mix..

ams153

truth is anything can work for a while but one day youll come into the room and the lion will be hurt or dead... and its only a 75.. youve got to get smaller fish than triggers in a 75 but with your current fish list idk that you could have smaller fish so your VERY limited on what you can do with that size of tank.

fishfryer

i have a nice big black blue neon damsel that is 41/2 inch big if you want .very aggressive and beutiful to look at. had year but want to get a quiet reef tank.

whitey_028

i have a few damsel that even my lionfish wont mess with in same tank he got one but the other 3 are still going...