Mandarin is sick - slime coat

lubeck

Ive had it for over a week it has eaten like a pig every day. Today it didn't move or eat all day and is breathing very heavy. It has sand particles stuck to it
What can I do for it?

lubeck

Goby died after one week. I'm confident that this fish did not die due to the lack of food in the tank. I have thousands of pods and more in the fuge. I think perhaps it is from malnutrition from the LFS an couldn't recover or some disease unknown. Total bumer
Param
8.2 ph
Phos- .002
Nitrite 0
Trate .001
Amon 0
Sg 1.025
Temp 79.1

btldreef

Sorry to hear about your fish and that no one offered any advice to you.
How thin was it when you got it from the LFS? Did you try to QT it to get it to eat frozen foods?

flower

Sorry for the loss...I don't know anything about mandarins, so I would have been no help.....but this is why I order on line, to have some kind of guarantee. What a shame...He was sick when you got him, he would not have starved in a week even if you had no pods.

spanko

Quick notes from Wet Web Media
The principal selection criteria for picking out healthy dragonets are their fullness of body and activity level. Suitable specimens should not be skinny, and should be out and about, investigating their environment. For sure you want to see the specimen/s eat.
Disease:
Dragonets are notably slimy fishes that are not as susceptible to external parasite infestations as other fishes. [For this reason, and because the typical quarantine setup lacks the live food necessary to sustain these animals, the quarantine of visibly healthy specimens is best skipped altogether in favor of an extended pH adjusted freshwater dip/bath.] However, they are not immune to disease/infection, and are overly sensitive to copper compounds, other metal-based and formalin containing medications. They are best treated through environmental manipulation (hyposalinity, elevated temperature) should they show signs of such afflictions.