Mantis shattering glass?

pyro

I was wondering if a small mantis shrimp would be a hazard in a 5g glass tank. After it outgrows it I'll have a larger acrylic tank available. Any special care requirements or reference/reading materials anybody suggests?
Thanks.

whitey_028

I disagree i had one break through a holder that was aqrylic and the glass is lass strong than the aqrylic holder...If the tank is larger than a 20 gallon the glass is a little thicker and less likely to break but in a 5 gallon glass chances are it can break it.

pyro

I'd imagine it has to do more with the fact the acrylic will bend/scratch which would lessen the chance of it shattering. The 5g is a basically a brand new perfecto - dunno why but it was sitting in my basement. I think I'll give it a go - it'll probably end up in my dorm next year. Will it eat shrooms/polyps? Hermits?
Any reading anybody can suggest other than just internet surfing? Thanks.

celacanthr

Originally Posted by Pyro
I'd imagine it has to do more with the fact the acrylic will bend/scratch which would lessen the chance of it shattering. The 5g is a basically a brand new perfecto - dunno why but it was sitting in my basement. I think I'll give it a go - it'll probably end up in my dorm next year. Will it eat shrooms/polyps? Hermits?
Any reading anybody can suggest other than just internet surfing? Thanks.
No, it won't eat corals, but yes hermits, if it is a smasher type mantis.
Like I said most won't break glass.

tank watch

I have one in a 6 gal acrylic eclipse tank. he has smacked the tank a few times but no cracks. he is about 6 inches long, full grown I believe. they will eat most anything, small fish, snail, hermits, grass shrimp, goldfish(feeder fish), pellets, flakes, bloodworms,etc. I like to give mine a variety whenever possible. some folks say give them snails and hermits so they can use their clubs. mine will even smack pellets to break them up. they need a deep sand bed and a place to hide. PVC pipe works good. Mine beat the crap out of the pipe trying to make it larger, so I changed it to a larger size.
I think they can crack the thin glass tanks.

pyro

Hrm... that worries me. The one at the store looks just like yours but about 2" long. Any way to keep the sand from becomming a nitrate fest? Why do they need a DSB?
Just curious, not trying to gun you down or anything =). Thanks