maroon pairs

feixjai

hey fellow reefers, i just wanted to know how do you pair up maroon clowns? i tried searching for the sticky about pairing up clownfish but had no luck. i only remember that you were not suppose to introduce one and then put another one in like for the percula clownfishes. right now i have a 24 gallon doing real good with 1 goldband maroon clownfish, 1 royal gramma, and 1 purple firefish. my coral beauty died yesterday and i want to replace it with another fish in a few weeks. if i tried to make a pair of maroons does it have to goldband also or can it be a regular maroon with whitestripes? also does it have to be bigger or smaller? sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance.

dogstar

IMO a 24g is too small for even one Maroon ( as well as a CB, sorry it died ) but if you must...find the smallest one you can, either gold or white and put it in and keep your fingers crossed. No other way. Some people say use a divider but I dont think the new one should stay seperated because it could change to FM and then thats not good.

B

broncomn12

I agree. Your GSM will eventually get too big to be happy in your 24g (IMO). But, for now I'm sure it is happy as can be. There really doesn't appear to be any easy way to get maroons to pair up. I had the same problem, and couldn't find any good answers. So finally, I just got a two WSM and tried them out. Unfortunately, I lost one (went out of town and my tank sitter didn't keep a good enough eye on them),
In your case, I would say that if you want to introduce a partner for the one you already have, you need to find one that if decidedly smaller than the one you have. Then, cross you fingers and hope like crazy that they like each other. Good luck. Hope it works better for you than it did for me!

feixjai

thanks for the replies, ill will certainly consider first which is the best decision to make for my maroon and my 24. thanks again.