Maroon wont leave corner. please help!!

emonemo

Ive got a maroon clown in a 20g. Some may go ahead and say the tank is too small. for now its an ok size, ill upgrade later.
Anyways, whats going on is that he LOVES this one corner of the tank, rear middle left. Its like hes hostin it, Ive got tones of rock works, with some nice cavern and caves. Mushrooms, galaxia coral, a few silver tip xenias, and a xenia elongata. I have chaeto growing in there, and some red macros as well.
2 feather dusters, the water is cleaned with chemi-pure, liverock, and filter medium. Temp is at 79-81*(night/day) All levels are spot on.
two powerheads, one pushing 175gph out from the rocks, and another doing 150gph from one corner diagonally across the tank to the exact opposite corner(front uper left, to rear lower right)
I figured i have all aspects covered for him to at least do SOME exploring....
nothing, he eats like a champ, he sees the prime marina container in my hand and swims out, FAST, eats up a bunch, and then right back to his little spot...
hes been in there 2 months now.
ANY ideas????

sigmachris

So I was reading your whole thread thinking "how long have they had this maroon?" and you state 2 months!
I have my first clown for 48 hours and he has been doing the same thing. I'm thinking he is just getting used to his surrondings and he'll come out soon, but two months. The other idea I had was he is like Deb / Flo in Nemo and they think their reflection's are a friend.

emonemo

i thought that for a while too. But i only recently got my second powerhead, and it has a reflective sticker on it, its a rio. Anyways, when he swims up to it sometimes, he sees the reflection and "bites" it. only once in a while, since he doesnt leave his corner much.
I read in places that clownfish like walls, but this is a bit much, right???

skipperdz

beats me...my maroon stays in his LTA the whole Fing time lol! again except to eat then he goes back. i have mine in a 12g so ill get more heat than you bro. but he's only an inch and a half maybe tops...but my 55g is in the process of being set up so hes got maybe another month in it.

victoria

I've had my maroon over 2 years, I got her a mate about 8 months ago and they have an anemone. Mine are very territotial, the female much larger has always stayed in the same place for the past 2 years, since the male was put in she goes a bit further out of her area only protect the area by attacking her much larger tank mates or getting big pieces of food for the anemone . The male never leaves his territory. It apparently is his job to guard eggs so even when their aren't eggs they take on those roles. My anemone died a few days back, they are sooo upset but still stay in the same area and guard it. The female is always pushing the sand out of the way of their nest, when the eggs do come the parasites in the sand will eat her eggs. So my answer is they act now how they'll need to act when breeding, maybe yours is ready for a mate. Hope this helps...

slammy16

I wouldnt be to worried about it, When i first got mine he would never go deeper than 6 inches in the water. After a couple months i bought a bubble coral and after a week or so of checkin this thing out he started hosting in it. He would tear up his fins while rubbing around on the coral so i bought a bubble anenome and it took all of 2 minutes of putting that thing in for him to host. I think in time he will become more adventurous just try to stay patient.
Here is a pic on the first time i seen him in it, Its about a 2 years ago.

susan2

I'm sorry to say I'm not the only one with clowns staying in one place in the tank. Mine are hovering on the side of the tank too. Starting to worry, now they are not eating ( 2 days) They look healthy no obvious signs of illness, just won't leave their spot and now have decided not to eat. Anyone have any clues?

urethekau

I have a mated pair of Ocellaris, I've had them for three months now. They have their own dedicated 40 gallon tank for breeding with live rock, and a slate rock for egg laying. They are getting ready to spawn, (I hope!) and both are healthy and eating well. My concern is that while the male is busying himself with cleaning the rock, the female is in the back left corner of the tank doing a headstand at the bottom! She's cleared a bare spot of glass and she sticks her nose in the corner and stands on her head for long periods of time. Should I be worried? Today the two seemed to have a fight in her corner, then he went back to doing his work and she went back to standing on her head. This is so wierd, I don't know whether to laugh or panic! Could I have possibly bought a female with no more spawns left in her? She doesn't do it all the time, she does come out to eat and socialize occasionally. This same pair also adopted a baby 1/2 inch Regal Tang into their family and actually involved her in the rock cleaning, I KID YOU NOT! Should I just chalk this whole thing up to "really wierd fish", or do I need a new spawning pair?

emonemo

so my maroon is starting to explore a bit. I recently got a silver tip xenia to attach to a flat section of live rock and it just exploded, growing super fast, and me maroon has been checking it out a bunc lately. Hes also been swiming up to my new frogspawn before darting back to the corner...
do you guys think he might try and host the frogspawn or the xenia...?

azreefgirl

I got 2 babies a few days ago and they hang out in the back corner, too. I got a frogspawn before putting the fish in, in hopes that they'd host with it, but they prefer the back corner for some reason!

emonemo

update. I got a second maroon in there and the one i had tore him apart. I felt so bad, i mean he was trying to swim with no tail of fins. I got him out and took him to the lfs to see if they can revive him in their fuge.
But now all of the sudden the maroon I had seems to be all explorer like. Swimming all over the place. freakin weird. its like hes looking for the other marooon he was picking on.