Maxi jet 1200 as return pump of sump?

mario

I'm going to purchase a 10/15 gal tank to be used as a sump for my 37 gal DT using a HOB overflow.
Would a Maxi Jet 1200 work as a return pump?
I read somewhere the return pump should move water at least at a rate of 5x the main tank volume.
The Maxi Jet 1200 is rated 295 gph but I can't find what's the capacity at 5', is that the capacity I should be looking at?

skywatcher

I don't know this for sure but I would think a powerhead would not have much flow left with a 5 foot head. It might not even be able to produce any flow at 5 feet

stanlalee

Not even close. Probably be 80gph by the time it reached the tank. Wont maintain a syphon with any HOB overflow I know of. I use a 480gph pump on my 10 gallon sump/30 gallon tank and its far from overpowering. Its just about right (considering I have a 270gph and 110gph powerheads in the tank and another 110gph powerhead in the sump). Depends on the overflow box though. Larger the drain bulkhead and U Tube the larger the pump has to be. Mine has a 1" bulkhead and I think 1" U tube but I'm not 100% sure (bulkhead might be slightly larger but I dont think so).