Mean old hermit!!!

aarone

This is why i am getting rid of this damn hermit. This is the third snail in 4 days.:mad: :mad:

another shot

thanks to dockery07, he will be out of the tank in a few days!
aaron

gregvabch

that type of hermit really isn't compatible with many types of snails. i had one that was a lot bigger than yours appears to be and lets just say that he did whatever he wanted.

aarone

he never seemed to bother them before. I have had him for almost a year now. It only started when i bought my 25 snail pack.
aaron

lovethesea

Is that thing actually taking the snail right out of his shell??
AND, did he crack the snails shell to get him???? :mad:
Holy cow.....I have never see that before!!!! he is probably thinking he just won the snail lottery with with your $$$ !

aarone

Squidd,
not sure what kind of hermit. Im guessing a large zebra legs. I bought him at ***** and all it said was "hermit crab" (go figure)
Lovethesea,
No cracking going on, its just eating it away from bottom to top. He pulls the snail out and starts devouring it.
aaron

gesswhosbak

aarone,
I have the same kind of hermit except when my uncle had the tank before me he got it from the beach in fla and put it in there. they do a good job at keeping things clean, BUT i have only one scarlett left in my tank. I am assuming he is eating them, hasnt gotten to the snails they are always high on the glass. How are you getting rid of yours? I want to take mine out but i dont want to kill him.

pc fisher

I live on the water here in Florida and I have hundreds of those crabs in front of the house. If you get the smaller ones they aren't so bad, but the larger one's are really mean. I put a couple of the small one in my tank and they do just fine. I have seen some out there though that are in 5-6" shells that could do some real damage.

gesswhosbak

so what should I do, undoubtedly i have to get him out otherwise i am just wasting money if i keep buying scarlets. But i hate to just throw him in the yard or something...

aarone

i posted in the trading/classifieds forum. Im getting a small xenia frag on sunday for him.
pcfisher,
When i bought the guy he was in a shell no bigger than an inch. He has grown alot.
aaron

scottnj

Hey Aaron, were there ever any larger shells in the tank for the hermit to move into before you put in the snails? He may have just been waiting for a new home, and gone to town.
Another mistake I made early on, hermits in the tank without empty shells for them...
-Scott

aarone

the snails in the tank arent bigger than his shell. I think he just eats them because he can now. :(
aaron