Mega Disaster

ratrod

Was on a once and a lifetime trip to Maui to do some snorkling when a dual disaster hit. Maui was a total loss a storm kicked up the first day we were there and browned all the water around the island so diving was out the second day I started getting calls from back home(washington State) that a hurricane was hitting home and that everyone was losing roofs and trees down so know one could get in or out of town as well as know one had power. I couldnt get anyone to our house with a generator to attempt to save our 400g reef system. So I grabbed the next available flight home to try to save the reef but unfortunatly I was a little to late the Dt tank was down to 55 deg. I hooked the generator up as quickly as possible but it takes a long time to get a tank and sump that size back to normal temp. I lost all the fish mostly tangs, all the acro's all the zenia. The list goes on and on. Its devastating to say the least. One positive thing that happend, before I got on the plane to come home the storm was pounding so hard on the beach in front of the condo it was washing up the most gorgeous chunks of live rock I've ever seen just packed with purple coraline algea. Well, you all probably guessed what I did next. It deosnt equal what happend. Still waiting for water parameters to equal out in the tank

m0nk

That is such a bummer, so sorry to hear about your tank. It seems that there have been quite a few threads to that affect lately. There were quite a few people without power in my area for a couple days this past week, though I was somehow lucky and came through with the power only flickering a few times. It does give me pause and the urge to get a generator of my own....

blazeddiamonds

That was way, way, bad! Big bummer!..............but look at it this way.........maybe it all happened for a reason and you NEEDED to come back home and this was fate's way of making sure you got there! Hope it all works out for you and that the new rock is awesome!

ratrod

I appreciate the imput, I'll try and post a pic of the rock, its better than anything I've ever seen as far as growth from an infinate number of just about anything you could think of. Makes me wonder after seeing this stuff just how long some of the other stuff I bought over the years was out of the water before shipping?????????????

jonthefishguy

Your lucky you didnt get caught as removing liverock from hawaiian waters is a criminal offense. This is why no live rock other than lava rock is shipped to the mainland.

ratrod

Not denying what you said is true, but they were more concerned with the removal of the lava rock. The hawaiins claim its bad carma and are pretty serious about that.

jonthefishguy

Of course. You are taking the children away from PELE, which is the legenday Goddess of Fire & Volcanoes. It is said that she sees them as her children and seeks revengs against those who stole them from her. She does not like it when ocean rock, lava rock and sand is taken and seeks great revenge onto those that do. Many tourists claim to have bad luck when they take it unknowingly and many have sent the items back to hawaii in hopes to remove the negative that she vows to give. Hopefully your tank doesnt crash because of her vengeance. It would suck if you had your tank going once again and everything was as white as rain and she decided to punish you.

ratrod

I guess the stuff they seel in Hawwaii for for profit at even the ABC stores that come from the beach must be "bad Carma " exempt. lol

jonthefishguy

Actually everything in the ABC stores are imported in from the same companies that supply the dollar general and 99 cent stores. They just supply them with the items that tourists see as HAWAIIAN. lol

squishy

Hmmm I didn't read anywhere that he removed the rock?

Sorry about your luck. At least you still have a roof on your house.
And curse's only work on those who belive in them or mention them.

squishy

Originally Posted by ratrod
oh we have a roof its in the neighbors yard..............
Shi**y. Now that really sucks.

ratrod

I have a dual sump system. So its easy to drain one side(55g) then mix new water and turn a valve and have the new water re-enter the system. But, even with that its really taken longer than I would think to get things back to normal parameters. Some carals actually looked like death was being excelerated by bringing things closer to normal, probably my imagination