metal halide

murph145

yeah SE bulbs last like the and i heard DE bulbs need to be replaced a lil sooner like 6-8 months??

mudplayerx

My last de bulbs lasted 12 months before I replaced them. Stuff was still growing like mad. They were 10k. I'm sure the ballast and bulb brands you have play a part in the equation.
Probably should have replaced them sooner like you said.

murph145

i just heard that DE bulbs burn harder and faster than SE bulbs so there for they need to be replaced more often but hey u never know i might have been told that so someone could make more money lol

mudplayerx

Originally Posted by murph145
i just heard that DE bulbs burn harder and faster than SE bulbs so there for they need to be replaced more often but hey u never know i might have been told that so someone could make more money lol
If I had the money I'd replace mine every 8 months like you said :p Heck, I still have my old bulbs stored away in case one of my newer ones blows out unexpectadly. I'm so cheap lol!

murph145

lol i know what u mean these things get expensive especially when u look at all the otehr maintenance cost too and feeding and buying new stuff lol
ive probably spent $8K since starting this hobby and i got more to spend on my new tanks equipment and such

rattler

how do u know what type of bulbs u have i got my ballast and 3 175 bulbs for 100 bucks used the bulbs are 20k and one is 10k

murph145

well do they look like regular light bulbs that screw in?? then those are SE single ended bulbs since they screw in at one end
DE are small and slide into a receptical that has to contacts at each side of the bulb