Metal Halides or Kessils

kayleigh

I have a 155gallon reef and currently running 3 150w metal halides. I am thinking about switching over to 3 160we Kessils. What do you think?

lmforbis

I think you would probably be better off with 3 a360WEs instead of the 160s. I have 160s on one tank and they are great for LPS and softies but not for SPS. If I had more of them, they'd probably be better, someday maybe. I also supplement with a 2 bulb T5 fixture. I have another tank with 360s that I have no issues growing anemones, only have one SPS coral and I haven't killed it yet so it must not hate the lights. So it kind of depends on what your ultimate goal is. I love the light they give off, it is much more natural looking to me than others I have tried. The shimmer is like no other and you don't see the individual colors like you do with most LED fixtures. I also use their controller to control the lights. One controller controls both of my tanks.

kayleigh

My tank is 23 inches deep. I have 220 pounds of live rock stacked to the top. I just thought that I could position my corals higher up on the rock for those that requires higher light!

lmforbis

With the depth you might want to look at the 360n, it has a narrower lens that penetrates deeper than the 360w. If it is 72 inches long you definitely want at least 3 maybe 4. I have the 160s on my 6 foot tank but I really need at least 2 more.

kayleigh

Do anyone know if I can run one 160we and two 360we on the same controller? I have a chance to get two 360 at a good price!!

lmforbis

Yep. There are two ports on each controller. You can run the 160 off one and the 360s off the other. It may also be possible to run them all off one port, I have never tried it. I have two tanks running off the same controller, one had 160s the other has 360s

kayleigh

do you think they will look ok together. I have a 160 and was planning on getting two more....but I got a good price on the 360we so I went with them! I will have one 160we blue tuna and two 360we blue tuna!

kayleigh

OK....right now I am running 3 150watt MH and will be switching over to 3 kessils. 2 360we tuna blue and one 160we tuna blue, in the middle, as advised above! I also am getting the controller. Could you please suggest what program I should start out with. THANK YOU!

lmforbis

They have some aclimitization programs that are a good place to start. The controller is really easy to use. I have mine increasing in color and intensity from 0 to about 60% color and 75% color. They stay at that level for a few hours then I have them ramp down over a few hours. My total time on is about 11 hours. The aclimitization programs allow your to gradually increase the intensity. They are a lot stronger than they look especially in the true UV. Start at a low setting and gradually increase the intensity. With kessils the color setting is to make it pleasing to your eyes. The intensity controls the strength of the light but the wavelengths are always correct for coral whether it is at 5% or 100% intensity. I burnt many corals because I didn't think the light was very strong so start low.

kayleigh

I AM SO DISAPPOINTED!!!! The guy that I was buying my two 360we Kessils from just messaged me to say he is selling to someone closer to him! I had my heart set on them! :( Oh well.....guess I will have to go with the 3 160we after all! I have a 155 gallon...2 feet deep! I guess they will be ok!!!?