metal tube stand ok for big tank?

gerry45

hi,
Is a metal stand with just metal frame for tank to rest on safe for a large tank or should there be a flat surface for whole bottom to sit on?
worried about pressure breaking bottom with support only around edges of tank.

phixer

Is the tank glass or acrylic and how large is the aquarium? Some generl rules are that acrylic is best supported by a flat level surface across the entire bottom of the tank. Glass tanks can use perimeter bracing with sectional cross braces as long as everthing is completely flat. Glass will not flex so it must be completely flat, take a level to it before you set your tank on the stand. IMHO Id recommend, 3/4 ply with a 3/4 styrofoam sheet on top for both glass and acrylic tanks. Good luck.

gerry45

will look into styrfoam if I upgrade,also,my 75 I have now is on a flat stand but the bach glass is just slightly past back edge of stand.
the tank has the top and bottom frame.
would such a small overhang be stressing the back glass?
thanks for all the help.

phixer

How much of an overhang? should be OK as long as you have a good sheet of Plywood and foam beneath it. Ideally the edges should be flush with the bottom of the stand though.

murph145

i agree with Phixer
u should have some center cross supports and a sheet of 3/4" ply with a foam underlayment this is exactly how i made my stand for my 180 its outta wood but still its better safe then sorry especially when there that much water in your house

milwaukeem

That is a beautiful set up!!! As far as cost effective goes, was it cheaper to make that stand yourself versus buying one???

murph145

for me a lot cheaper!
cost me about $320 to make my stand from scratch .... i already have the tools that were needed though which was a chop saw a jig saw a table saw and a finish tailer
i do flooring mainly wood floors so i have familiaraity with tools

but the materials were cheap i can remove ever panel for easy access it looks ncie and fits with my house
if i were to buy a stand with my tank it was guna cost me $600 and it would have to front openable doors and only be 30" tall and made of oak the canopy was guna cost anotehr 300 so i saved like $600 and made it the way i wanted for the equipment i wanted to use

phixer

The best reason to DIY, you just reminded me. Ive got to re-finish a wood floor this summer also.