MH bulb questions

fishphreak

I am trying to decide on what brand of MH bulbs to get.
Is one brand better than another?
I have heard ushio recommended a lot but I looked at some pics on the net and they look very yellow to me. I would prefer more of a bright white color.
I have been told that Hamilton is one of the better brands, what do you think?
I also hear that German is better, any truth to that?
Also I have not been able to find any Hamilton 10k 250w German bulbs. Is this because all Hamilton bulbs are German?
I would apperciate any suggestions.
Thanks in advance,
Jessica

reefnut

Hamilton does make a 10k bulb but their 14k has became popular here lately. Ushio is a good quality bulb that has been around for a long time... I agree they are on the yellow side though. With strong actinics they look ok. The XM bulbs have been real popular sense they come out. They have one of the highest PAR ratings of the 10k bulbs and give a good intense white IMO.
If you're planning to run actinics I would go with the 10k XMs. If you're not going to run actinics but like a little blue, I would go with the 14k Hamiltons... although I do not have any personal experience with them. Hopefully someone running the 14k Hamilton will chime in.

dburr

Ushio will work with electronic ballasts or pulse type. If you use pulse type you will be very limited on what bulbs you can use.
Hamiltons are german. German bulbs will be closer to the mark when it comes to the color of the bulb. I have heard alot of good things about the XM bulbs, but I nevered used them.
I recomend useing probe type ballists with XM or the hamiltons. The Hamilton 10K I used and had good growth with them. I am now useing a 15K bulb and love the color.
HTH

fishphreak

I don't know what kind of ballast it is yet because it is just a bare ballast with capacitor. The was the only description it gave.
It should be here Monday so I can check then.
Thanks for help,
Jessica

dburr

Ballast with cap leads me to say it's a probe type. Most bulbs will work with them.

fishphreak

Do the hamilton or the XMs have the ignitor built in?
I ask because I just read that some german and bulbs will run fine on probe start ballasts but without an ignitor, the bulb struggles to light and bulb life may be decreased.
Thanks again,
Jessica