MH Light Question

littlebuck

I am looking at getting new Mh for my tank. It is a 72 gal bow front.
This is what i plan on getting
Complete 250W Metal Halide Retro Kit With ARO Electronic Ballast
Kit includes: ARO electronic ballast, parabolic reflector with Mogul base, grounded power plug, wire nuts, CoralVue 250W Lamp (Please indicate your choice of lamp at the checkout (10,000K, 14,000K, or 20,000K).
You can also get this kit with ReefLux lamp (10,000K or 12,000K) for only $5.00 extra.
Should i spend the extra $5.00 for the other bulb?
Also what type bulb is better? 10K 12K 14K
If i put 2-250 watt MH and then add my 4 bubl VHO set up on to it not sure if i can get the 110 bulbs or not but is so will that be ok for lighting or will it be to much?
Dose anyone have one of these set ups? Any pro/cons on them? IF you could let me know i would appricate it. Thank you in advance.

juiced_rl

I am not familiar with the dimentions of your tank but from what I have heard one MH bulb is good for right around 24 inches of tank width
I would think that just using two VHO actinics would be enough because you are going to want those for your sunrise and sunset affect so you do not freak out the fish.
I am not very familiar with the MH bulbs so someone else will need to answer the which options are better
I would also like to know since I just purchased a MH retro for my tank

db

You should upgrade to the Reeflux bulbs. People are raving about them compared to the other Coralvue bulbs. If you have no actinics I would go with the 12K bulb, if you do go with the 10K. They Coralvue 10K is supposed to burn a nice crisp white and the 12K has a bit more blue.

acrylic51

There's more to loving a bulb......What are the PAR readings on the ballasts he's contemplating on using......Again a bulb will look different on different ballasts and some bulbs work better with different ballasts. Something to consider and something alot of people overlook