MH lighting. 14k? 20k? 22k?

emonemo

Im currently using a 130w (2x65) PC lighting for my 20g.
I want to add a MH to it and am thinking another 175w would be a good number. that would give me 15.25w per gallon!!! Im guessing that should be enough for even hard corals such as the Pagoda Ive got my eye on.
Now right now the bulbs im using in the pc are a 10k and an actinic.
The kit im looking at gives me a choice, upon order, of either 14k 20k or 22k bulb.
I know that the higher the kelvin the "bluer" the water and corals look. But how high should I go. I mean, do the corals NEED any specific type. Also if I get the 22k, will i nolonger need actinics? or could i still run actinics. etc...
I wanna hear feedback from as many of you as I can. What your running, what it looks like, maybe pictures would be good too...
thank you all in advance.

sign guy

I vote for 1400k cuz its close to 50/50 lighting like you have now and in my opinion its the best looking

emonemo

so 14k is close to 50/50?
Is 50/50 measurable in K?
well imean 50/50 is part 10k and part actinic, so is 22k actinic?

sign guy

sorry but I dont know what antic is. but I know that coraslife's units that have 10000k and antics = 14 to 15000k

emonemo

right on. Looks like ive got a pretty good vote going towards the 14k.
22k does sound a bit on the blue side, and considering im on 10k now, 14k is a good move up.
as far as the wattage, what do you think. 305w for a 20g?
Enough for stony corals like pagoda right? ive got all the flowing stuff i always wanted like the xenias and kanya tree and stuff. now i want to get more into the frogspawns and plates.
any idea?

emonemo

JUST ORDERED IT
175w MH ready to plug into my home outlet.
Chrome Batwing reflector. Refurbished housing, but brand new balast.
$105 including shipping

HOT price.
this dude on E Bay is selling even 400w kits for only 15 bucks more.
Ill let you all know how mine works, this might be a hot grab while it lasts.

nu2salt

nemo...i have seen those lights many times while surfing the bay.
and wondered if they r any good. i'm gonna be setting up 4-5 more tanks and if you like them i may get.keep us informed.

tx reef

Be ready to replace the bulb and the reflector. I ordered 2 of those about 9 months ago.
The bulb it comes with is crap and the reflector is huge.
You can find a good replacement reflector for around $20 and I would suggest a 15k XM bulb (about $60).....

84chris

Originally Posted by TX Reef
Be ready to replace the bulb and the reflector. I ordered 2 of those about 9 months ago.
The bulb it comes with is crap and the reflector is huge.
You can find a good replacement reflector for around $20 and I would suggest a 15k XM bulb (about $60).....

I agree that the reflector is huge but i just trimmed mine down and it works fine in my hood. I am sure that i will be replacing my bulbs soon also though. But for the price i dont think you can beat it.

stanlalee

Originally Posted by EmoNemo
JUST ORDERED IT
175w MH ready to plug into my home outlet.
Chrome Batwing reflector. Refurbished housing, but brand new balast.
$105 including shipping

HOT price.
this dude on E Bay is selling even 400w kits for only 15 bucks more.
Ill let you all know how mine works, this might be a hot grab while it lasts.

advance M57 magnetic ballast $60 new retail
mogul socket new retail $5
power cord new retail $10
batwing reflector new retail $20
cheap egay bulb new retail $30
used ugly industrial housing $free
all the savings are identifiable based on price: used housing= about $30-40 cheaper than name brand PFO, Coralvue, Hamilton ballast with new attractive looking heat sink housing. cheap bulb about $30-40 cheaper than quality name brand reflux, hamilton, Ushio ect bulb. you add that $60-80 you are right in line with the price of a PFO, Hamilton or Coralvue set up and have known product support. not really a "hot price, hot grab", its priced like it should be and has been selling for that price on egay for a LONG time (along with a few others). It sounds hot because we are accustomed to hearing the prices of more high end MH systems or complete (often overpriced) fixtures than the common name brand retro kits that usually cost well under $200 for complete SE kit. nothing wrong with it though. with a good bulb it should perform the same.

84chris

what exactly wrong with the bulbs? I knew when i bought mine i would probably have to buy good bulbs but what are the other ones gonna do?

emonemo

yeah good follow up.
Are they just not true to their rating?
low output, wrong Color in term of K?
or just burn out quick?
Once i get it will I be able to use it for a while, or do i NEED a better bulb right away...
continuing the train of thought. what are the respectable brands for bulbs.
brands, types, models...
Im asuming im getting mogul type in this kit. so like product info would be appreciated.

stanlalee

generally they have a poor CRI (color rendition index) rating compared to the popular name brand bulbs (some of the egay sellers do list the CRI rating. alot are in the 60s compared to the 100s for the same rated kelvin color) and they use cheaper quartz glass that makes them more prone to failing sooner. they are alright to get started with seeing how MH bulbs need replacing fairly often to begin with just dont expect the same thing as a $75 bulb with the name ripped off. there are a few eqay brand bulbs that have gained acceptable favor but alot of those bulbs were meant for industrial use where color rendition and getting wet didn't need a whole lot of consideration.