MH problem

muggiwhplar

I recently bought a used MH/T5 fixture for my 75 gallon reef. It worked fine for a few days, but now the MH's will start to warm up and then shut off after a few seconds. It happens with both bulbs, and nothing really changes when I switch the ballast/bulb combinations. If it were a problem with the bulbs, I'd think they just wouldn't work; if it were a problem with the ballasts, I'd find it very odd that both ballasts were somehow damaged in the exact same way at the exact same time. Has anybody ever had a problem like this? If so, do you know what caused it?

muggiwhplar

Originally Posted by B-Baby80
do they have a cooling fan?Maybe their over heating?not sure i'm clueless about MH's

There's a fan at each end of the fixture--and they're going out before they even have a chance to get all that hot. Thanks for the response, though.

codylowe

I had a problem similar to that, but only with one bulb. I ended up sending the bulb back to hamilton to get replaced.
It would start up for a sec then it would make some funky noises and burn out.

scsinet

Originally Posted by muggiwhplar
I recently bought a used MH/T5 fixture for my 75 gallon reef. It worked fine for a few days, but now the MH's will start to warm up and then shut off after a few seconds. It happens with both bulbs, and nothing really changes when I switch the ballast/bulb combinations. If it were a problem with the bulbs, I'd think they just wouldn't work; if it were a problem with the ballasts, I'd find it very odd that both ballasts were somehow damaged in the exact same way at the exact same time. Has anybody ever had a problem like this? If so, do you know what caused it?
Well first off, halide lamps are not like incandescent lamps, they aren't just "on or off." The behavior you are describing is textbook bad lamp.
However, I'm puzzled as to why both lamps would be behaving in the same way. The chances of two lamps failing at exactly the same time are about as great as the ballasts failing at the same time as you describe.
My philiosophy when buying metal halide lamp fixtures used is to always replace the lamp(s) off the bat. You have no idea how many hours are on the ones you get. What I'd recommend in this case is to purchase one or two new lamps. Put them in. if it solves the problem, great. If not, you can put the others back in, we can move onto other troubleshooting steps, and you can keep your new lamps are spares. You are going to need them sooner or later anyhow.

muggiwhplar

Originally Posted by SCSInet
Well first off, halide lamps are not like incandescent lamps, they aren't just "on or off." The behavior you are describing is textbook bad lamp.
However, I'm puzzled as to why both lamps would be behaving in the same way. The chances of two lamps failing at exactly the same time are about as great as the ballasts failing at the same time as you describe.
My philiosophy when buying metal halide lamp fixtures used is to always replace the lamp(s) off the bat. You have no idea how many hours are on the ones you get. What I'd recommend in this case is to purchase one or two new lamps. Put them in. if it solves the problem, great. If not, you can put the others back in, we can move onto other troubleshooting steps, and you can keep your new lamps are spares. You are going to need them sooner or later anyhow.
Thanks. I contacted the manufacturer and they said it sounded like either a bulb or compactor issue. Either way, they said I could bring it by and they'd diagnose and fix it for the cost of the parts. I'd be angry that the guy told me the bulbs were brand new, but I only paid $200 for the set-up--so I guess I can't complain too much.

scsinet

Originally Posted by muggiwhplar
compactor
Capacitor.
Yeah that's another possibility, but each ballast has it's own capacitor, so again, two failures at once seems unlikely.
One possibility though that I just thought of... caps don't always deal with the heat so well. If your ballast pack got too warm, it may have toasted them. Still though... I'd expect one would fail, shutting down the halide associated with it, causing the heat in the ballast pack's ******** to go down... dunno.

ifirefight

Originally Posted by SCSInet
I agree with Dave. I have recently had 2 HAMILTON MHs go "bad" on me. Both replaced by the company. If its a Hamilton....chances are it is the bulb. BTW...They assured me it is NOT a very common problem.